Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: The PNW Fishing Thread

been around the block a few times unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken's Avatar
    See joel and buddylove..........everyone is growing a beard!
    Time to start growing yours out!

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough
    ha, I can't grow one at my current work place. When I get layed off here, maybe I will start.

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough
    When are we going fishing, Ken?

been around the block a few times unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken's Avatar
    I'd love to go but I have some catching up on projects around the house to do!

That is why I like this thread so much so I can live vicariously thru his fishing trips! Hehe

I haven't been in years.

Go here and click on your area broken down by region, and check to see which lakes have been stocked most resent to increase the odds of coming home with some fish.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/reports_plants.html

More than happy to answer any questions any one has on how to get started. I will include some more pics and a run down of what i use and why next time i go out.
    i am an apex predator and hatchery zombies are my target

Cool link!

Can you give him some pointers on growing a beard?

I already have all the pointers on growing a beard from you! Just become a hermit...

Thanks for the link, Amsterdam!

Quote: Originally Posted by buddylove View Post
    I already have all the pointers on growing a beard from you! Just become a hermit...
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

When Im bait fishing for trout, my setup is like this:

Main line of (6-8lbs.) high vis. green Maxima line
    One small bead, sliding wieght, another small bead, then i tie that to my snap swivel. The beads reduce the amount of undergrowth you will get hung up on and help by saving your knot to the swivel so your weight isn't bashing against it. Then on the snap swivel, tie on approx. 3 feet of Maxima invisible clear leader (4-6lbs.) to a red Gamakatsu bait hook in size 4 or 6, then covering the hook with three or four white and yellow (chartreuse) power eggz.

Cast out, do NOT cast out as far as you can. All the big guys will be within the first twenty feet from shore most often than not. After casting, watch your line and feel for the weight to hit bottom, mend your line so there isn't a big bow and extra slack out, this well help in feeling any little nibble on your bait. Wait. Wait. Wait. If nothing happens for several minutes, lift the rod tip tree or four feet slowly and make sure your not hung up in weeds, or anything else. Feel the weight hit the bottom, reel in any excess slack, you will feel the take when a fish hits, just wait for it. when you do get a hit, wait for them to gobble it down a bit, then lift your rod tip, and reel in....

this is what it gets you.
    a happy wife and one 11" dinker and an 18" monster weighing a little over 4 lbs.!!!

Hope that is of some help wanting to give it a go, please check your rule book for any rules against use of bait or barbed hooks before fishing.
    Last edited by Amsterdam087; 2012.03.28 at 13:26 PM.

just to drive home the point, i took these in thirty minutes of fishing today on my lunch break.
    same exact rigging as described in my previous post.
    two fat triploids and three good sized keepers.
    these will taste great from the smoker!
    mouth is watering even thinking about it!LOL

anyone ever has any questions or needs some tips, please feel more than free to ask, would be more than glad to help you catch some of your own!

Thanks for the inspiration! We will see if I get out there at least once this year.

and now for something much bigger....
    caught 4-21-12 on the Rogue River in 4.5 feet of water on a spinning anchovy rig.

still on a huge adrenaline high.
    big thanks to Jim Pex of Offshore Adventures.

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    now *that's* a fish!
    -Tyler-

Wow!
    Did it put up a pretty good fight?

Quote: Originally Posted by unimogken View Post
    Wow!
    Did it put up a pretty good fight?

the fish hit the net more than a mile down river from where it was hooked, and our 35lb. leader finally broke the second Jim (my guide) got the net under it.
    i had that fish within 15' of the boat 7 or 8 times and then it would dive and blast off again with the reel screaming as its peeling line.

could have been 8-15 minutes, i am honestly not even sure. needless to say, it takes a lot to fold a nine foot salmon rod to where to rod tip is nearly parallel with the cork handle. luck was on our side that day.

No kidding!
    Glad you were able to land it!

Quote: Originally Posted by Amsterdam087 View Post
    it takes a lot to fold a nine foot salmon
    ahh good.. was going to ask what it was and its size. I don't think I've ever seen a salmon that large
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!

Yesterday my brother got into his first legal keeper sturgeon.

And a hog i hooked into and kept that was a clipped hatchery fish.

Dang sturgeons are cool looking fish!

There is an Asian market near me that has one in a giant tank in the meat department and the kids always want to check it out.

Last edited by Amsterdam087; 2013.09.26 at 09:24 AM.

you killed it!

Normal Member NWarty will become famous soon enough NWarty's Avatar
    My twin eight year old's caught a Silver on the Chehalis River this past weekend all by themselves (Their first Salmon). One hooked it, the other netted and clubbed it. So incredibly proud of them!

Made for a very tasty dinner last night!
    - Blake
    Northwest Artillery
    I blow up stuff from a long ways away

:heart:

+ Reply to Thread