Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My new daily.

everyone probably knows me by now Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl's Avatar

My new daily.

I figured I might as well post my newest VW on here :

1984 Jetta "deluxe".

Just passed 190k miles, has the original 1.7 and a replacement 7A transmission.
    Bone stock, inside and out, the interior is in great shape. No A/C, manual steering.
    Even has the original windshield...just nice and unmolested, down to the hubcaps.

As the title states, this will be my daily from here on out. I've been driving/fixing
    it for almost a thousand miles now...loving it! Even a 1.7 is a far cry from a 1.6
    diesel.

For now I only have one little poor quality picture :

Plans are to fix the cosmetic things, install some euro bumpers, lower it a tad and
    just drive it until the chassis won't take any more. Luckily it's rust-free except for
    the trunk lid.

wow... nice score. There aren't many of those around any more..
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar
    Nice! I know someone that might part with some euro light and turns (no grill). That car came factory with a 7A jsut an fyi. Euro bumpers are going to be pretty hard to find..

everyone probably knows me by now Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by Rabbit 16v View Post
    Nice! I know someone that might part with some euro light and turns (no grill). That car came factory with a 7A jsut an fyi. Euro bumpers are going to be pretty hard to find..
    Thanks guys!

I actually kind of like the US headlights. Just too bad the grille has a hole in it and the headlight doors have broken tabs.
    The reason I said it was a replacement 7A is because it has a 1993 date code? Probably a factory rebuild?
    As far as the bumpers go, the front must be easy (same as the mk1 Golf?), the rear one though...I may have to live
    with the US one for a long time.

been around the block a few times unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken's Avatar
    Looks good!

At least put some H4'S in there so you can see where you're going with these darker nights.

Quote: Originally Posted by unimogken View Post
    At least put some H4'S in there so you can see where you're going with these darker nights.
    ecode H4's are always a requirement
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar
    7A is an 83-84 trans only. I like them a lot due to tall gearing with a 3.94 final drive. Golf 1 bumpers are not the same front or rear for the jetta. Euro jetta front bumpers do not have turn signals in them. They are smooth. Remember, euro spec cars of that era did not have front amber parking lights, they were just the city lights in the headlights. If you need a stock us spec grill I might have one. Like Ken said, GTFO with those stock 4x6 sealed beams. H1 and H4 if you must use the US spec lighting setup. LMK if you want to know more about the euro spec stuff. I spent way too much time and money on an 82 for a human that should have had that money spent on bullets instead. I know almost as much about Jetta 1s as I do about Golf 1s and Scirocco 1s.

Oh, the 7A is wonderful. By far the nicest factory transmission for highway use. You're not stressing the motor and still getting 33mpg.
    And you're right, I totally forgot the euro's had the turn signals next to the headlights, not the bumpers. But since I'll stick with
    the US headlight setup I'll need the turns in the bumper...so the Mk1 Golf bumpers would work fine right? Especially since they're so cheap!
    I've already posted a wanted ad in the classifieds. But really, if someone has a "cheap" used set of H4/H1 e-codes let me know, I agree with everyone and that should really be the first thing I change.

I'm also looking for a used set of bilstein struts with some lowering springs.

Being on a non-existent budget I know everything I want to do to this car will take a LONG time.

And yes, a complete run down of euro spec is in order. This is only my second Mk1 Jetta, since the
    last one was a European model 16 years ago I'd love to know what all the differences are.

Thanks everyone.

Ok, here are some more pictures, taken with an iPhone 3G this time, so better quality.

I couldn't believe how nice the interior is for the amount of miles it has. Only 1 rattle in the dash.

Still enjoying it, I've replaced enough parts so far that it's purring like a kitten again.

Next paycheck I'll hopefully have the money to buy the timing belt, tensioner and water pump.

And after that, who knows...but it will continue to look better!

exterior differences are bumpers, front and rear lights, grill, and thats it. Golf 1 bumpers will work, but the rear side piece will not go all the way to the flare like it should. Also trimming will be necessary for the front and rear near the bottom lips on the bumpers due to the more squarish shape of the jetta. here are some suggestions:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/VW-Jetta-1-Sc...item231558f8aa

maybe you can trade someone what you have? http://www.ebay.de/itm/Jetta-1-US-Sc...item415ecc8b4d

http://www.ebay.de/itm/VW-Jetta1-Kuh...item43a29b6517

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Jetta-1-Ruckl...item43aab1de27

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Jetta-1-Ruckl...item43aab1debf

Bumpers look like they might be a bit tough to find..

so is the trunk the only real body damage or paint issues?

Normal Member RoadRunner is on a distinguished road RoadRunner's Avatar
    AWESOME!!!

And WAY better than an IROCZ

Quote: Originally Posted by joel View Post
    so is the trunk the only real body damage or paint issues?
    The trunk is the only place the car has rust BUT the clearcoat peeled off on the passenger side
    front fender and both rear doors got big scrapes on them. Still, looks great from 20 feet.
    I'm trying to figure out why the trunk lid is so badly rusted, even on the inside. My guess would
    be to blame the drivers taillight which leaks like a sieve. PO drilled a bunch of drainage holes
    in the trunk floor...

On another note, thanks to Rabbit 16v for telling me about the bumpers. I can totally see why
    the front Golf bumper would have to be trimmed.

Normal Member VWsEatRice is on a distinguished road VWsEatRice's Avatar
    congrats on the new car. my front aftermarket mk1 golf plastic euro bumper fit w/no modifications. the rear required trimming

This is a possibility. Its been 13 years since I built my last MKI Jetta. IIRC the rear required some slight trimming to the topside also. Just a little in the corner though.

Seems easy. I just can't believe how cheap the euro Mk1 bumpers are...

Quote: Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
    Seems easy. I just can't believe how cheap the euro Mk1 bumpers are...
    you will as soon as you pick one up.

Quote: Originally Posted by VWsEatRice View Post
    you will as soon as you pick one up.

Are we talking about the ECS one?
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

Quote: Originally Posted by Twelvizm View Post
    Are we talking about the ECS one?
    Yes, $65 just seems awful inexpensive. They must be for decorative purposes only?

well, I can assure you that they are not for 'bumping'. one slight hit and then you need a new one.

my shop neighbor forgot to put his expedition in park and rolled 3 ft into my right side rear bumper. no body damage but the bumper cover ripped at the inside corner and bent the rebar and bracket pretty good. i beat it back to shape and epoxied the plastic. i got lucky.

Quote: Originally Posted by VWsEatRice View Post
    my shop neighbor forgot to put his expedition in park and rolled 3 ft into my right side rear bumper. no body damage but the bumper cover ripped at the inside corner and bent the rebar and bracket pretty good. i beat it back to shape and epoxied the plastic. i got lucky.
    Yikes. I've already encountered the benefits of the US bumpers having to park on the street in Fremont. Some guy in a Dodge 4x4 Pickup used my car for a "space/curb feeler". Guess that's just the joy of parking in the big city...sigh.

If you do intend to put real lighting on the car, autotech has a clearance on ONE headlight trim surround. Might want to start compiling parts..

yeah.. if you're parking on the street around Seattle, having more durable bumpers are definitely a big plus. My brother had his mk2 jetta's front grille, headlights, and bumper all damaged (some of those multiple times) while parking in Seattle over a year or so.

+ Reply to Thread