monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My new daily.

everyone probably knows me by now Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by joel View Post
    yeah.. if you're parking on the street around Seattle, having more durable bumpers are definitely a big plus. My brother had his mk2 jetta's front grille, headlights, and bumper all damaged (some of those multiple times) while parking in Seattle over a year or so.
    Ditto, my previous Mk2 Jetta diesel daily got hit multiple times...one time someone tore the front bumper off and left me a note
    with a fake phone number. The first time I ever took the Scirocco downtown, someone put a fist size dent in the roof...

Anyway, just spent $75 on some Jetta stuff and it all arrived broken. Pretty bummed right now.

The only thing usable will be the the taillight wiring harness I got to fix the one currently on the car...and even one
    of the taillight circuit board connectors got a chip out of it...

everyone probably knows me by now Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl's Avatar
    Thanks for the link!!

Some progress, last weekend I installed some euro golf bumpers.

Never thought that would be the "first" mod.

Also mounted the snow tires on the front.

Pics to come.

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar
    was I correct on the mods needed for the bumpers? Its been a long time..

Quote: Originally Posted by Rabbit 16v View Post
    was I correct on the mods needed for the bumpers? Its been a long time..
    The front one bolted right on but the rear had to be cut to fit.

Still, a huge improvement over the stock bumpers.

Normal Member VWsEatRice is on a distinguished road VWsEatRice's Avatar
    i used some universal molding i had from my 1st mk1 jetta to cover the trim holes. heres a pic of the repaired corner from my Ford Expedition encounter. Still not happy w/the angle.

Regular Member DowNnOutDubin is on a distinguished road DowNnOutDubin's Avatar
    Awesome find!

saw this yesterday.. in the rainy dark
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

I really like what you did with the molding! A nice alternative to getting the holes welded in.

@ joel : I'll get off my lazy ass one of these days and take more pictures...

Mods now include euro bumpers and relayed H4 headlights.

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
    Mods needed now include euro headlights.
    Fixed!

Hahaha! I thought about it...but no. Still like the "american" ones better.

Ok, just dont drive at night

are there more than 1 version of the mk1 euro jetta headlights?

i had a set that had a weird bulb not an H4. Wasn't impressed w/the lighting. Sold them and still running sealed beam sylvania halogens(relayed of course) that seem much brighter.
    Last edited by VWsEatRice; 2011.11.23 at 10:52 AM.

There is only one style of Euro lights for the MKI Jetta. Those are them. A really common mistake when installing the Euro lights is that the pin configuration on the bulb needs to be changed, otherwise the lighting will be really lackluster. All Euro MKI Jetta lights are H4.

Also, black poly mounts... Lol!

been around the block a few times unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken's Avatar
    Ok, just dont drive at night
    I love me some relayed H4 headlights!
    Even my crappy little S-10 truck has them!

Quote: Originally Posted by VWsEatRice View Post
    Now this picture almost makes me want to get Euro headlights!

But for now I'll stick to the quad H4 setup. Nice and bright!

There is only one style of Euro lights for the MKI Jetta. Those are them. A really common mistake when installing the Euro lights is that the pin configuration on the bulb needs to be changed, otherwise the lighting will be really lackluster. All Euro MKI Jetta lights are H4.
    when i got the setup, one bulb was burned out.
    regular autoparts stores had no clue. took the bulb to Too Quick's. Had a confused look then took a dusty box off of his shelf and had a match. He said they were around $17 each and could have a new set for me that afternoon. He said something about usually an aircooled item.

i know about the pin configuration. i had to make adaptors to put the sealed beams back in. still planning on getting H4 conversions soon.

I thought i had RHD headlamps or something. Oh well. i sold them for the same as i paid for them. I think it might be a friend of our friend w/the black poly inserts. He was backing him up in that thread.

Thats really strange. Can you describe these bulbs or post a link to what they look like?

On my jetta, I started with the 4x6 H4/H1 combo and upgraded to the factory big squares. I did relay them at the time so that might have something there. It was a massive difference.

You may have had RHD units. Those things can really suck to aim

Got into the Jetta today and it was FULL of water.

I know the windshield seal leaks a bit, even with a ton of silicone around it, done by the previous owner. A new gasket is on order.

The trunk lid leaks...both from the lock seal and badges. Going to remove the badges and silicone the holes shut for now. A new lock seal will be gotten on ebay. Might as well sand the rust down and throw some primer on that. Next time it doesn't rain.

Drivers side taillight still leaks like a sieve...since I can't seem to find one locally I'll just go euro. Volkswagen classic parts sells brand new ones for 45 euro each.

Drivers side back door is leaking right at the center pillar...crazy wind and hard rain perhaps? Either way I'm going to check the vapor barrier too.

BUT, found the rain tray FULL of water...it literally just poured into the passenger compartment all night. I had cleaned the drain tubes about a week ago. Found them today all clogged up with pine needles. So, out they came.

Any ideas on drying the car out? I mean it's seriously bad. It's drenched front to back. I have to park on the street so I can't run an extension cord to run a heater. Good thing I'm always driving to Oregon I guess. Hopefully I can keep the water out and just run the heater full tilt for hours upon hours of driving.

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough
    ya, too bad its this part of the year. I would say if it was summer, to yank the carpets and just let them air dry and then vacuum up the rest of the water.

Thats really strange. Can you describe these bulbs or post a link to what they look like?

On my jetta, I started with the 4x6 H4/H1 combo and upgraded to the factory big squares. I did relay them at the time so that might have something there. It was a massive difference.

You may have had RHD units. Those things can really suck to aim
    they looked just like these but 12 volt. wired like an H4.

Interesting. I have had 4 sets of those lights and they all used H4s. I just looked at ETOS and sure enough, it lists an N 01 705 3 bulb which is jsut like the one in the pic. Did a regular H4 jsut not fit at all? Also, did it have a funny brass coloured clip to hold the bulb in place? Here is another wierd one, slightly OT though:

I have these bulbs in my rabbit and it was designed for H4s. They fit right in. Whats even wierder is that I got them from the dealer here in the US

About the leaking water, I feel your pain. I never did resolve the water leaks in my jetta that I built. Of course that was a million years ago and it was the exs car so I didnt really try that hard...

If you have a garage, I would say put a heater in the car with all the windows down for a few hours. cleaning the raintray is a good idea. if its full of pine needles and such it can pool in there and then it will run into the car through the heater blower area. Fixing leaks in a MKI can be a big PITA.

Scratch that. this is the one I got for my car which appears to be an H4.

been around the block a few times unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken's Avatar
    In the Mog world those are called "R2" bulbs.
    People modify H4 bulbs by pulling the mounting base ring off of the R2 base then soldering them onto the H4 bulbs base.
    But you can now buy bulbs called "HR2" which is the same thing as modifying the H4s.

+ Reply to Thread