Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Classic Mini: 1974 Leyland Mini

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough

Classic Mini: 1974 Leyland Mini

So, my 1960 Mini was parted out due to extensive rust. I am hoping I will be able to keep this one around longer.

The story with this one, I have been shopping for another mini with a limited budget for awhile now. I came across this Mini on the Mini Mania website and noticed that it had been for sale for awhile now, since about June of this year. After sitting on the ad for about a week, I decided to contact the owner. He was asking $5500, but I didn't want to pay that much. I had him send me additional pics of the car, since the ad only had one and I also asked him to send me pictures of all the rust and interior. He also provided me with video of it running. The rust still made me a little warry, so I decided to take a shot in the dark and offer him $3000 for it. He agreed to the price and we finished the deal out. I was also able to get it shipped up here from American Canyon, CA for $509, not a bad price. The main reason why I think he had to sit on it for so long is because its a Clubman, the unloved model of the Mini line up. Most everyone wants the round nose, since its considered the classic design, but I have always an affinity for the odd.

Last Thursday, I received all of the paper work for the Mini and found a couple of receipts for work done at Mini Part, a British repair shop. The receipt showed that a used 1275 motor had been bought, and a complete rebuild of the short block had been done. I called the shop on Friday, and spoke to the owner, he told me everything that had been done to the motor, including a +20 overbore. He said that they had retained the previous owners transmission from his 998, but that the syncros and bearings were replaced in it. In all it ended up being over $3600 in work.

Yesterday (12/03/11), it shows up to the house. The drive was unable to get it started and said that he had trouble getting it started at his last stop. He thinks that its out of gas. I decide to start trying to figure out what was wrong with it, and the first thing I found is that the positive battery cable head was completely cracked through... So, I ran to the parts store and got a new head. After that, I spent a couple hours trying to figure out why it would catch and run for 10-20 seconds but then die randomly. I checked all of the connections, found a blown fuse, and I was already getting mad at the stereo system and alarm system that the previous owners installed (both will be getting ripped out). I checked the plugs, and found out that I had flooded them, and put some other one that I had laying around in. I also checked the ignition components, most of which seem to be new. My next step today or tomorrow is to put in fresh gas, as I don't know how long its been sitting. I already pumped out the old gas out of the tank.

Rust:

The previous owner told me about the rust in the right front floor pan, that was definitely there. There is also rust in the right sill / door step area. I also found a little bit in the left front floor pan as well. The rest of the car has a little bubbling, but seems to be ok overall.

Some photos the the previous owner took:

been around the block a few times unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken's Avatar
    Looks great from the pictures!
    I like that front end better than the roundy one.

Nice CVCC!
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

everyone probably knows me by now Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl's Avatar
    I love the clubman nose. Too bad the general public didn't when Leyland tried to update the Mini.

What a nice find, you're going to enjoy that one!

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough
    ha ha, thanks Ya, the clubman nose is a bit more ecletic.

so, given what you know now, what do you think about your purchase? I know you were worried about the rust..
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar
    Yay! RHD!!

p.s. I hate you

The body is still mostly solid, as long as the motor checks out ok. It is still a really good buy. I have been messing with the carb some more and the symptoms just seem to get worse. It has been mentioned that I might have a big air leak somewhere. I will probably get it towed down to my friend's shop later today so we can mess with it there.

Quote: Originally Posted by Rabbit 16v View Post
    Yay! RHD!!

p.s. I hate you

ya, price and RHD, along with being a Australian Clubman (super rare in the US) were the deciding factors for this purchase.

been around the block a few times unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by buddylove View Post
    The body is still mostly solid, as long as the motor checks out ok. It is still a really good buy. I have been messing with the carb some more and the symptoms just seem to get worse. It has been mentioned that I might have a big air leak somewhere.
    Want my neighbor with the older Volvo to help you with your carb? He's really good with them I hear. :rollseyes:
    Vrooom vrooom vroooooom vrooom vrooom vrooom vrooom vrooom vroooooom vrooom vrooom vroooooom vroooom vrooom!

ha ha!

The Mini now resides at Chuck's Mini Repair, thanks to AAA. We started going over it and I will post up the repair list when I have it in my hands again. The biggest issue, that was worrying me when I first received it and Chuck confirmed it, is that the steering column or rack is stripped. When you are turning the wheel, it slips and then catches itself... So, even if we get it running the Mini isn't going anywhere till that is sorted out and fixed.

geezz... how does that happen?
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!

someone yanking it out and then installing it incorrectly.

lame... that's the worst part about old cars: the previous owners. If it weren't for them, life would be a lot easier

ya, its ok though. The more I do to it, the more I feel like it belongs to me. I also know the more parts I replace, the more I can trust it to take a long trip.

quite true..

So, Chuck got bored and found out that just the steering column is shot, the steering rack is ok. The problem though, is that the steering column is nothing like Chuck has seen before (been around Mini's for the last 40 years, but never worked on a Aussie Mini before). It has parts of Mk 1, 2, and 3 aspects in it and is shorter then standard. He also found out that the fuel adjustment nut on the carb 27 flats off (double what it should be), so the jet had barely any room to move and help choke the carb.

Normal Member Slow8vJetta will become famous soon enough
    Followed the build on your old one on Vortex. Sorry to hear about it's demise. I'm looking forward to see some progress on this one.
    DubSaints

ya, my vortex posting wasn't popular enough for me to keep up to date. I'm just going to stick with this site and my local Mini forum for the most part, this time around.

Update from today:

Lots of electrical tear out. Chuck was busy all weekend chasing the starting issues on it. He rebuilt the carb and setup a new plate for the new throttle cable. He also replaced the steering column rod and steering column, with a MK2 unit, as mine was destroyed. He had a whole list of stuff he checked over. At the end he said he couldn't stop because my car was being "frustrating." ha ha I really do appreciate all the time and effort he put into it, I wasn't expecting it!

So, today... Chuck got to catch up on his errands and dog walking while I chased wires.

The new steering column and rod, you can also see the old dash in it:

The clubby with flairs still on it:

Minus flairs:

Removing the rear speaker setup and hunting wires:

Removing the keyless door entry system:

How the dash is now... not looking forward to trying to sort out that mess. A combo of alarm and speaker wiring.

Chuck had the Mini running when I showed up today, it sounded horrible with the current exhaust. He also said that he had re-timed the car, as it was way too far advanced. Replaced the needle and seat in the fuel pot, and completely rebuilt the carb. He took a cold compression test of the motor, and I am hoping that it does better with a warm compression test.

So, today we started by trying to find a carb inlet manifold that would line up with the head properly. The current one didn't have any slots to help it line up using the studs and it wasn't designed to fit with collars. Chuck's magic shelves came to the rescue and we found a good candidate. The butterfly and shaft in the carb have too much play and is a air leak, so it's getting sent off to Mini Mania for repair. We were going to replace the CV boot on the right side of the car, but upon starting up the tear down. We noticed that the adjusters on the backing plate were completely destroyed. Previous owners / shops most likely used vice grips to adjust them. After some struggle, we got the drum off and found both brake cylinders to be shot. I am guessing that the other side is shot as well. So, the decision now is whether to put money into these brakes or wait and save up to get front discs. I am leaning towards the latter.

Some pics of the work today. Installed the RC40 two box system and Janspeed LCB from my old Mini.

Old Exhaust:

New exhaust and header:

everyone probably knows me by now Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl's Avatar
    I love the progress!

And I can see why the old exhaust sounded crappy, waw.

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    haha, I have the same set of jack-stands
    -Tyler-

+ Reply to Thread