Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Classic Mini: 1974 Leyland Mini

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough
    Changed the roof color a few days ago and took a few photos today. We are planning a lot of changes in the Mini over the next year, as I am building it up as a memorial.

been around the block a few times unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken's Avatar
    Looks good!

everyone probably knows me by now Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl's Avatar
    I love that nose

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough
    Order from OZ was finally settled:

Used parts:

Pair of Window Winders
    Interior Door latch trim both doors
    Pair of Interior Door Latches
    Pair of Exterior Door Latches
    Rear view Mirror
    Used Front Indicator Lenses
    Pair of Clubman front bumper underriders
    Bonnet Clasp

New parts:

1/4 window seals x 2
    Inner felt seals x 2
    Outer seal x 2
    Bailey channel x 2
    1/4 glass flat rubber x 2

Not a whole lot of parts, but the biggest order dollar wise so far. The window seals almost doubled the cost of the order. The seals are Australian specific to my car, so I had no other place to buy them from.

are the windows/doors that different for your car compared to others of the time?
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

ya, they are Australian specific. No other country got the same door as mine, which kinda sucks, but I really do like the doors.

it always amazes me how the same car can be so different in different markets
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!

been around the block a few times unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken's Avatar
    Thank you!

ya, it makes it a pain in the butt for sourcing some of these parts.

Ken! You are welcome!

We took the Mini down to the Portland ABFM (All British Field Meet) on Saturday, about a 300 mile round trip. The ABFM was held at the Portland International Raceway. We had a good time and the Mini performed well all the way down and back. Lis did request that I install a heater and get more comfortable seats.

hehe women! heat? comfort? wtf?

mmm... nice to know you have the car to a state that it can be driven that distance

Junior Member Sanderskog is on a distinguished road
    Love the project! Great job. I've wanted a classic Mini since I was about 8.

Thanks! I definitely recommend owning one, they are quite addicting.

It's been a pretty long time since I have done much with the Mini, other then driving it and checking up on general maintenance items.

Today, I installed 2 lower engine steadies. It just had one up top, and good engine mounts. The new lower engine steadies, will take some pressure off those as well as off the rod change system.

Engine steadies:

One of the spots, that we installed them on. The only real modification is drilling a hole on the left and right side of the subframe.

Engine steadies hanging from their new mounts.

Engine steadies installed.

"engine steadies"? I'm guessing their purpose is hidden in the name, eh?

factory mounts aren't good enough?

More along the lines of the motor mounts aren't in the locations that we are used to on newer cars. The mounts are basically on the center of the engine on each side. It lets the engine be able to sway back and forth. Mini's were fitted with at least 1 engine steady from the factory, but it really isn't enough.

everyone probably knows me by now Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl's Avatar
    Was the original design good enough for the first motor? I can imagine the 1275 motor makes a lot more torque.

It probably was good enough for the 850. Some countries added a 2nd engine steady that helped a ton.

Bought a old school steering wheel. Hoping to start picking up more parts again to get things going.

Awhile back, after I installed my exhaust. I noticed that my seat belt bolts were a little loose, I tightened them down and my exhaust started rattling soon after. At the time I didn't think anything of it, other then it being annoying at idle. A couple a months ago, my mid section of my exhaust came apart on the way home from work. It held on long enough for me to get home. I then put it back together. Today, I mentioned it to Chuck and he advised that it sounds like is under tension, but shouldn't be. We got the Mini off the ground and sure enough, that seatbelt bolt was pressing against the exhaust. We spaced it out and now no more rattles. I should have done more investigation in the first place.

hehe.. wondered what a seatbelt has to do with the exhaust

Installed the new to me Formula wheel the other day. It is slightly off center, so I'll correct it and post pictures later. I already like it a lot more then the one that came on the car.

Just ordered the dash setup for the car, so hopefully in the next month I will finally have a working speedo in the car.

------- It's coming from France.

Still working on trying to get a heater for the car.

my m3's steering wheel is pretty horribly offset from the seat.. but I don'd mind

My new dash setup arrived from France. It's a Dulles Dash repro. Still need to order a center speedo binnacle for it to mount onto, and a 80mm tach.

+ Reply to Thread