Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Classic Mini: 1974 Leyland Mini

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough
    Photos of the original dash setup, the repro isn't quite the same, but it's still close enough.

everyone probably knows me by now Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl's Avatar
    Classy!

that's nice..
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough
    Resurecting this from the dead...
    Last edited by buddylove; 2013.06.18 at 17:57 PM.

Making plans to get moving on this again after we get back from Australia in September. Some updates for it...

Went to the White Elephant Christmas Party for the Seattle Area Mini Owners Association in January. They have a silent auction and then they also have the "White Elephant" part where members can wrap up nondescript boxes and put Mini related items and parts in them. The people who participate can then bid on the item. I won a front big brake kit for the Mini for $20, and was pretty happy since I have always wanted a set, and they usually go for $400-500.

This particular kit was from an ex-race Mini and the calipers are 4 pot calipers with 8.4" disc down turned to 7.5" discs. The key thing about this is that most available 7.5" discs are a solid rotor. The 8.4" disc come with a vented option. The calipers also came with a spacer to be able to run the now thicker 7.5" disc. I am pretty excited about the setup, and the rotors will only need a light resurfacing. I am hoping that the seals in the calipers are good.
    Last edited by buddylove; 2013.06.18 at 18:55 PM.

A Somebody Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody's Avatar
    I was wondering what was going on with this.

The next step is rust repair and a full re-paint, which ='s $$$. Just emailed the only body guy in the PNW that know's Minis like the back of his hand. He is usually contracted for concours type restorations. I am not looking to go that extreme, but we will see how feasible it is.

sweet deal on the brake kit!
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!

Thanks!

So, the quote for body repair minus paint is $7500 - 10000, depending on how perfect I want everything. For a full respray in and out that could easily start at another $7500. The main guys doing this type of body work have Mk1 and 2 Cooper S'. People with Clubmans usually just let them die since they are not as desirable.

body work

Started discussions with Gunnar, the Mini body guy, to start work on the Mini in December. In order to help swallow the cost, the Mini will be getting it's body work done in chunks as funds allow. I have a few ideas for it that I haven't seen in the USA, but I am not sure if I will post that part of the progress. Mini purists will definitely not like where I am headed with it, but then again most purists don't like Clubmans.

everyone probably knows me by now Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl's Avatar
    I love Clubmans...but I also like AMC's.

Tried to get it started today. Not getting any fuel up the line. Replaced the in line filter just in case it was clogged, but still no go. Going to try to prime the fuel pot tomorrow, and see if that can get things going.

Primed the fuel pot and the Mini started up right away and ran for a couple minutes, it died once the fuel pot was empty. It didn't pull anymore fuel through the line. I then took compressed air to the fuel line and fuel came spurting out, so the hard line is clear of blockage, and the new filter now has fuel in it. I am pretty sure that the fuel pump is dead, but I'll check the fuel at the fuel pot one more time to make sure.

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar
    sounds like a fuel pump to me. is it a mechanical pump or electric?

Mechanical. Checked the fuel line at the fuel pot again, no fuel. I'll be ordering a blanking plate and gaskets tomorrow. It will be replaced with a Facet electric pump, that I used to have on my '60.

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar
    good plan. I am sure there is a rebuild kit out there for the mechanical pump, but hey, sometimes updating is a good idea

Blanking plate, gaskets, mounting bracket, and exhaust bobbin (Chuck's idea on how to reduce the noise from the pump) have all been ordered. Still need to go take the pump around and find 1/4" fittings for it, as well as new fuel hose/pipe.

you should just post what you're doing to the car here... we'll be interested

Quote: Originally Posted by joel View Post
    you should just post what you're doing to the car here... we'll be interested
    Yes! We need more pictures!

Parts shipped yesterday for converting to the electric fuel pump, just need to figure out how I am going to mount the pump, and run the wire to the ignition switch. The whole swap shouldn't take too long other then trying to pull the old mechanical pump off the block and getting it blocked off.

What fuel pump did you get? Also, I would recommend installing a relay such as the ones found in MKI VWs. It requires an ignition trigger input to activate the pump. That way if you are in an accident, the key doesnt make sure you are spraying fuel all over everything..

I already had this one on the shelf from the '60.

Have a wiring diagram of what you are talking about? I was planning to run an inline fuse and was playing with the idea of having a switch under the dash after it came off the ignition, as a anti-theft device.

That was the pump I was thinking you might have. You can use MKII fuel box isolators to mount it. They have a stud on both sides and rubber in the middle.

diagram= terminal 30 (battery power), terminal 85 (ground), terminal 86 (key on power), terminal 87 (power to pump), terminal 1 (negative side of the coil). Also, the relay has a fuse built into the top of it.

Thanks Good to know about the mk2 fuel box isolators, I ordered an exhaust mount and was just going to use flat bar to mount it. I'll do that for now and maybe grab the mk2 part down the road if you have one laying around.

+ Reply to Thread