monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Classic Mini: 1974 Leyland Mini

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough
    I have been told that the original color of mine is Bitter Apricot. I found a few places, where there was an orangish / brownish paint that seemed more original then the red. Though the red is pretty well sprayed all over the car, you can find hints of overspray on items that the factory wouldn't have done. When I pulled off the door cards, I found some of this bitter apricot color lurking underneath. I have also found it in the boot area, and also on the roof gutter.

I am pretty sure bitter apricot resembles the 3rd Mini in on the 1st row.

That one looks more like a fresh respray.

This Mini is bitter apricot as well, but it seems to have weathered the years poorly. It is also more along the lines of the color that I have found hidden. Well, I guess I found a combo of the 2 colors.

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough
    This morning, I went over to Don's shop to buy back my old 7.5 Cooper S Disc setup (Thank you, Don).

At Chuck's shop today, I removed the flag off the roof. It probably looks worse now, as they painted only parts of the roof white, and some of the red paint lifted off with the sticker. It took about an hour with a heat gun.

Before, with the flag roof:

After, with the flag gone:

While I was removing the flag, Chuck started inspecting the rear brakes. Just like the fronts, the cylinders were leaking. The adjusters checked out ok, and were rather interesting as they were slotted so that you could use a flat head on the interior side. Also, the drum has a built in spacer like the old Cooper setup, but Australian made. The spacered drum, wasn't 1" wide, so they will be getting switched out for my 1" spacered setup. Chuck found the spring on the left side installed incorrectly as always. We finished out the night by putting new studs in the rear hubs, and re-installing the adjusters after a clean up.

been around the block a few times unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken's Avatar
    Looks like a lot of fun!

"Chuck's Magic Shelves"

man.. that mini sure does look a little quirky compared with what I'm used to seeing.

Is the new exhaust more correct for the car, as opposed to having the dual center tips?
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

Someone did a dyno comparison and the center exit exhausts are more of a straight through design without bends. The setup I have is just a normal aftermarket setup using the factory mounting locations and is called a RC40 system. The center exit systems don't have as much back pressure as the rear side exit systems and therefore usually have power loss as compared to the rear side exit systems.

Also, I forgot to mention, the paint scheme that you see on the roof now has been painted on that way. Someone painted on some sort of flag before the last flag was applied and probably used stickers to finish it off. It'll be ugly for now.

Clubman models are considered the red headed step-child of the Mini group. It's a love it or hate it kind of thing.

been around the block a few times unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by buddylove View Post
    I have also found it in the boot area, and also on the roof gutter.
    The what area?
    You're talkin all weird on us now!

ha ha, the Mini club / my Mini mechanic mentor made me think that way. Bonnet = hood; Boot = trunk area.

Chuck had the brake cylinders installed in the rear before I got there. We installed both of the rear hubs on the stub axles, and re-installed the brake shoes and springs. We also, put my old 1" spacered drum setup.

We then started disassembling the 7.5" Cooper S disc setup, so that we could use the axles from my mini, as well as the steering arms.

I'm still a little confused about this talk about spacers on the rear drums
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!

everyone probably knows me by now Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by joel View Post
    I'm still a little confused about this talk about spacers on the rear drums
    My guess is that the stub axle is just too short. Or something, dunno.

Instead of it being a separate spacer like we are used to, its built into the drum. The factory started doing this long ago, you can get a separate spacer setup, but most people are warry of it in the Mini world due to non-hubcentric wheels.

Also, the cooper s disc setup is 1" wider then the front drum setup. Kind of like a VR plus suspension versus the 2.0 suspension. In order to get the track the same in the front and rear, you have to run a 1" spacered drum.

Standard non-spacered Mini drum:

1" spacered drum:

Those are some cool/weird looking drums!

yeah...

Chuck received word that the carb might be back by Friday. I am hoping that the holidays don't conflict with the shipping. If we get it back Friday, the Mini might be running and driving again by Monday/Tuesday.

I got to Chuck's earlier then normall yesterday, but in regular fashion Chuck had already removed both hubs and drum setups. On the right side, Chuck had to remove the tie rod and lower arm as well because of an issue with things not coming apart. We were hoping that we would get the Mini back on its wheels, but it was fighting us a lot.

When I initially took the 7.5" Cooper S disc setup off of the 1960 Mini, it took a lot of work. I didn't check the threads when I took them off. Chuck found 3 out of the 4 ball joint threads, cross threaded. Whoever put them on them on the first time around didn't pay attention and destroyed the threads. Chuck was on fire with all of the bodge fixing yesterday. He was able to restore all 3 thread setups, as well as finding another purpose for a knuckle joint dust cover (I think that's what it is called) and used it as a steering tie rod end boot.

By the end of the day, we had both disc setups installed. Chuck had also installed a new steering rack boot and cv boot, before I had shown up. We are going to need to run a new front hardline, as the current hardline isn't screwing into the new front left stainless brake line.

A more clear shot of the heater core used as a 2nd radiator setup. It will be going away soon. Once I get the Mini back to my place, I really want to give the wheel wells a good scrub.
    Last edited by buddylove; 2011.12.25 at 09:17 AM.

so what still needs to be done to get the car back on the road and in your driveway?

so what still needs to be done to get the car back on the road and in your driveway?

My post that I am about to do, explains it a bit. Still have lots of electrical to sort out though.

Today we installed the front hardline. There was a kink in the hard line that goes from the front hardline to the T, so Chuck had to straighten it out to get the connection to work properly. After that, we bled the whole brake system and then bled the clutch. The fluid for the clutch didn't look that great, and I am glad that we bled it because there ended up being bubbles in the system.

Next, we adjusted the clutch, checked the timing, and then pulled the distributor. Upon taking apart the distributor, Chuck found out that the vacuum advance wasn't working due to a bent arm. He straightened it out and also found out that a screw on the plate in the distributor wasn't allowing the plate to rotate freely. We had to sort out a few more issues, but it ended up coming out nicely. While Chuck was sorting out the distributor, I was working on getting rid of more of the "extra" wiring the previous owners had installed.

We then checked on a few things and fired up the Mini after a few cranks. It ran nicely and Chuck adjusted the fast idle, as well as the jet. It is still running a little lean, and the clutch needs to be adjusted again.

We did a warm compression test, and the numbers came out to 155 140 145 150. If I remember correctly. I am hoping that a valve adjustment improves it slightly and that a test drive doesn't show blue smoke on acceleration.

How it sits with the Cooper S disc setup and rear 1" spacered drums. I personally like its "stance".

looking good..

We tackled the charging issue and clutch activating today. The alternator in the Mini was one that Chuck didn't recognize and it had some sort of separate voltage regulator. In true fashion to this Mini, the alternator was spliced into the wiring harness, and it took a bit to figure out what exactly was going on with it. After drawing out our own diagram as to what was going on and a phone call, we did some testing and figured out that the alternator was dead.

The engine bay minus the alternator and a few more deleted wires.

Chuck adjusted the clutch some more, and it now activates just how I would like it to. We will see if it needs anymore fine tuning once we get it on the road. Still left to do: Radiator flush, install new alternator (on order), delete a ton more wires, get the dash lights to work, and duct tape the floor. I am sure more stuff will keep popping up.

Quote: Originally Posted by buddylove View Post
    Still left to do: duct tape the floor

those wires look pretty messy....

everyone probably knows me by now Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl's Avatar
    I just love all the progress!

those wires look pretty messy....

It's getting better, but it still has a long ways to go. The scariest part, which I still have the most work to do in, is the dash area.

Quote: Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
    I just love all the progress!
    Thanks I just want to drive it!

+ Reply to Thread