monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Classic Mini: 1974 Leyland Mini

Euro-Elitist Moderator VDubVirus has a spectacular aura about VDubVirus has a spectacular aura about VDubVirus's Avatar
    that car is beautiful.
    SOME PEOPLE ARE NARROW MINDED, OTHERS LIVE IN REALITY ~ EURO-ELITISM

l Arron lSPACE

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough
    Thanks! It's come a long way, but I still have a long way to go with it.

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough
    Nothing too exciting for tonight. When I think of 1974, I think of a mk3 Mini. I keep forgetting that this Mini has a lot of mk1 elements in it. I bought a mk3 bulkhead pad, but I would have been better off with a mk1 bulkhead pad. I cut the pad to work with the wiper motor, but I should probably do some modifying on the opposite side as well. I also gorilla taped up the lhd side for the brake and clutch master cylinders.

I also did some testing on the license plate light. It is getting power, I am just not sure why the light bulb is not lighting up.

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    Sometimes the lead contacts on automotive bulbs get flattened out over time, and no more contact is made.
    -Tyler-

Good to know. One of them is burned out anyways, so I need to get another one. Thanks!

definitely looking good.. would be fun to see this
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

If I can get a couple more things figured out in order to take a longer trip, I am planning on going on the Port Townsend Cruise.

Finally made a bit more progress on the Mini. I got the Japanese style extender column steering bracket for my old Mini last year and didn't end up using it. It extends the column down a max of 3 inches. I tried installing it yesterday and it ended up being too narrow to go around the column clamp. After talking to a good friend, he came up with a easy way to widen it out a bit, which worked like a charm.

Old steering column clamp setup:

Japanese style steering column extender bracket:

I also put in the passenger seat today. With how low the seats sit right now, the steering column drop is perfect. Eventually I am going to get new seat brackets and raise them up. The seats came from Chuck's magic shelves (thanks again, Chuck!).

Last week, Chris (CLM) from Oregon was coming up to pick up some parts and brought along some wheels I wanted to purchase from him. They are E-T Crosswire Wheels 10x4.5. A future refurbishment will be in order. Thanks to Chris (Rabbit16v) for dismounting the tires for me today.

Last edited by buddylove; 2012.02.10 at 23:59 PM.

been around the block a few times unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken's Avatar
    I think I may know where one of these is located in an abandoned property but it has been smashed up a bit and turned on its roof. It still may have some salvageable bits?

let me know!

so the japanese bracket is just so short people can use the wheel more easily?
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

yup, and you can run a lower profile seat! I hate the position of the standard column / wheel. It makes you feel like you are driving a bus. Eventually, I am going to switch out the current steering wheel in it for a period aftermarket wheel.

I promised myself that after I drove the Mini last, I wouldn't drive it again till I had replaced the suspension. I know its taboo to say this, but it really is too low. I was super careful on my last drive and I still smacked the exhaust 3 or 4 times. It just doesn't create a enjoyable driving experience, and I am more into performance with this car then looking good.

Placed an order earlier today to replace a lot of the suspension components on the Mini.

Minispares Order:

GSD415

SPEEDO CABLE 48" 'CLUBMAN DASH' 76-90

SZU10001

PEDAL RUBBER LATEST TYPE

JPC2017

WINDSCREEN FILLET CHROME FINISHER JOINING CLIP

CGA2835MS

DOOR SURROUND SEAL MK3 WITH WIND UP WINDOWS TO 1996

MSSK3006

SUSPENSION PACK OF HILOS AND LOWERED SPAX MINISPARES DAMPERS

GPR104

PEDAL RUBBER CLUTCH and BRAKE +POST 76 ACCELERATOR PEDAL

MSSK3008

CAMBER TRACKING KIT OF 21A1091 AND C-AJJ3360 WITH BUSHES

Mini Sport Order:

FAM3968C Competition Uprated Rubber
    Suspension Cone

Minispares was out of the rubber cones that I wanted so unfortunately I had to order it from Mini Sport. I had to eat an additional shipping charge for that one. On the upside, ordering it from them saves me a ton of money as the US Mini sites want about 4 times as much for a lot of these parts.

I am not sure if we have talked about this before, but an explanation of the suspension components is probably in order. The Rubber Suspension Cone is in effect the spring for the suspension. It sits up inside the subframe and then the HiLo sits below it. The HiLo can be compared to a sleaved coilover or even just a coilover. It lets you raise and lower the car, in comparison to just the standard trumpet that is in there. For the time period it was a very progressive design when all you saw back then was leaf spring setups.

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar
    I hate you.

What now?

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar
    I am jealous. i really really really really want a mini. this equates to hatred. or maybe just some stupid internet jargon that means I am jealous.

been around the block a few times unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken's Avatar
    I don't see the fuel pump on that list.

Quote: Originally Posted by Rabbit 16v View Post
    I am jealous. i really really really really want a mini. this equates to hatred. or maybe just some stupid internet jargon that means I am jealous.

Ah, I'll let you drive it when I am happier with it. ( You should be happy with that one, I have only let Hil drive it so far.)

Quote: Originally Posted by unimogken View Post
    I don't see the fuel pump on that list.
    I don't need a fuel pump right now! I fixed the connection. I am going to put a electric one in eventually, but then I need to blank off the mechanical fuel pump on the block.

Yay!!!

I tried removing the tint a couple weeks ago by using a box knife and a heat gun. It didn't work that well. So, I gave up and cut down my license plate to fit onto the license plate holder. Today, I went and bought a fabric steamer and it worked pretty well at removing the tint. It still was a pain in the butt.

Before:

After:

FYI the cramped quarters of the Mini make it difficult to vacuum... Well that and my garage is small.

I washed the new to me wheels yesterday and test fitted one of them today. I am pretty sure the wheels are drum fitment as there is a slight bit of poke.

Convert to drums?

Ya, no thanks

Haha!

I will be disappointed if you do some silly shit like stretch tires..

Pretty much impossible as there is really only one size of 10" tire. If I go with a wider rim down the road it will be stretched by default. No stretch this time around.

+ Reply to Thread