monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Classic Mini: 1974 Leyland Mini

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough
    Received packages from UPS and DHL today:

Works style light bar

Road/Race Competion Rubber Cones

Mk3 Door Seals

Speedo cable with slip on fitting

Adjustable lower arms

Heavy Duty Tie Rods

Front and Rear Lowered Spax Shocks

Genuine HiLo's, bars for the rears not pictured

I also have bushings for the tie rods and lower arms that aren't pictured, as well as new clutch and brake pedal covers.

I installed the mk3 door seals, and they went on so much easier then the mk1 door seals that I tried first. It also is creating a better seal around the door, though the passenger door is slightly bent out at the top causing it to not seal fully. I am looking forward to driving the car with the new pedal covers on, as I won't be slipping off the pedals anymore. The suspension won't be going on this weekend, but hopefully next weekend. I am also still on the hunt for lights for the light bar, I have lost a couple of auctions by a $1 so far.

mmm..... nice parts to put on an old car
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar
    Lets hope those SPAX units work better on a MINI than they did on VWs.

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough
    32 way adjustable. I put the same ones on my 1st mini, and it rode pretty nice.

everyone probably knows me by now Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl's Avatar
    That's a whole lot of goodies!

Junior Member kish is on a distinguished road
    hmmm...hi/low goodness and spaz shocks!

One of the things that I remember about doing mini suspension was how it was a total pain in the butt getting the front cones compressed enough to get everything removed...that and separating the trumpets from the cones while they were still in the front subframe. The last time I did it, I pulled the hubs, LCAs and put a long bolt thru the top of the sub frame with a huge washer and screwed it into the cone, tightened it down and removed the upper control arms, and then after removing the long bolts, the separated cones and trumpets came out uber easy.

Since you're going to replacing the springs-er-cones, it would be a perfect time to go thru and rebuild your upper control arms and the rear swing arms...recondition bearings and shafts, cups and sandblast/paint and all that good stuff....

oh and I don't know if he's still doing it, but ward barbour in PDX used to make some sweet bushings back in the day. like every single mini suspension bushing...I don't know what the costs are, but I never heard any complaints from anyone running his gear.

Ya, my cones are probably so old/compressed already that I don't think I will have an issue getting them out. We will be using a cone compression tool (they scare the hell out of me). I was hating life when I did a similar suspension upgrade on my first Mini. My rear radius arms are fine and so are the upper control arms. I have messed around with the thought of running hydrolastic upper arms, but those are hard to come by.

Junior Member kish is on a distinguished road
    Quote: Originally Posted by buddylove View Post
    Ya, my cones are probably so old/compressed already that I don't think I will have an issue getting them out. We will be using a cone compression tool (they scare the hell out of me). I was hating life when I did a similar suspension upgrade on my first Mini. My rear radius arms are fine and so are the upper control arms. I have messed around with the thought of running hydrolastic upper arms, but those are hard to come by.
    The diy cone compressors are not that bad, the only thing that I worried about was snapping off the threaded part in the cone...spring compressors on the other hand....shady.

Also, with the hydrolastic arms 7ent.com has them listed for $85 per side, but I don't know if they are in stock, or the benefits to running them. A (working) hydrolastic mini is a dream to ride in though...

Ya, I completely agree on the cone compressors being shady... The first time I did a Mini suspension it blew apart because it loosed up when I was compressing the cone. Scared the hell out of me. The upper hydrolastic arm is a old school racer trick for getting more camber, I probably won't do it. Ya, I drove my friends Wolseley 1000 with hydrolastic and it was super comfortable to drive.

No pics today, I will try to get some later today when I head over to Chuck's.

When I got to Chuck's (I dropped off the car Friday afternoon so it would be dry.), he had already finished the rear suspension (gah!). I guess he gets bored... He had both rear hi-lo's, cones, and shocks on. He said that one of the shock absorbers had given him some grief so he ended up having to cut the top off. They were all seized up anyways.

Note to self: When ordering new suspension, don't forget to order knuckle joints! Ya, I forgot... Thankfully Chuck has some decent spares laying around.

So, I got to work on the front suspension while Chuck ran some errands. We decidede to pull everything out including the driveshafts for easier working. The passenger side came out fine, but the driverside ball joint didn't want to be split.

Lunch time... We had some Thai food from a local restaurant, it was pretty good.

Once we got back, I set to work on the front again. Removed the bonnet and started getting the upper arms ready to come out. Chuck was able to get the driver side lower ball joint to split, so all of that was pulled out. He then set to work on putting in the new to me 9 gallon tank (looking forward to fewer fill ups) and adjusting the rear drums.

Once, I finished getting the upper arms ready to come out, we checked to see if the cone compression tool was going to thread into the rubber cones fine. It turns out that the cones threads were pretty screwed up (they are new, I might add) and the tool didn't want to thread in too nicely. We went on a hunt for a 14mm tap, but we had no such luck other then there being one in a $80 kit from Harbor Freight. So, we went back to Chuck's and got the cutting oil out and set to trying to rethread them with the tool. After some time spent, we were able to get the threads mostly fixed on one of them. Chuck had a mildly genius idea of correcting the top of it by slightly drilling into it. It ended up working! Hopefully today, we can get to buttoning up the front suspension.
    Last edited by buddylove; 2012.03.12 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Grammar fix!

Pics from the other day. Hoping to be able to wrap it up this weekend. I also picked up some -1.5 rear camber brackets.

Rear setup. you can see the new cone, hi-lo bar, and Spax shock.

9 Gallon tank, maybe I'll repaint it in the future...

Speaking of which, I'll need to find a new spare... My spare is a super old riveted steel wheel. It won't work with the 7.5" disc setup.

Front Suspension. You can't see the adjustable lower arm or new cone. The Spax shock hadn't been installed yet.

been around the block a few times unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken's Avatar
    Purdy!

looking nice..
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!

ha ha, I don't know if it is looking nice... but, it is coming together slowly. It sits super high right now though. I am going to adjust down the hi-lo's and hope that it settles quite a bit.

compared to how it has looked at times earlier in this thread.. it's looking pretty nice right now

ha ha, true. The more I look at those wheel wells, the more I think that I should give them a good scrubbing when it gets a bit nicer out.

everyone probably knows me by now Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl's Avatar
    Oh, a 9 gallon tank is quite large! The Triumph Herald only had an 8 gallon one...and that's a bigger car!

Ya, the original was only 6 gallons.

Quote: Originally Posted by buddylove View Post
    ha ha, true. The more I look at those wheel wells, the more I think that I should give them a good scrubbing when it gets a bit nicer out.
    pressure washer. use one. I can rent you mine for certain commodities

This could be a possibility...

been around the block a few times unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken's Avatar
    Have you bought any of that fancy gas for your fancy tank?

nope, not yet! Still need to get it back on the road. Hoping to have it that way this weekend.

Ok i'll check up on you later. . . Hehe

I think I will come "borrow" some of yours.

+ Reply to Thread