Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Classic Mini: 1974 Leyland Mini

been around the block a few times unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken's Avatar
    Haha!
    So you'll drive past all of those places that you can actually buy some?

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough
    Ya, it's cheaper...

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough
    So, I have been a little vacant from this forum for a few days. It's because the Mini is driving me nuts!

Saturday, I went down to Chuck's. I played "Supervisor" while Chuck was performing a check out on a Mini. Once that was complete, I got to work on the clutch assembly in the car. Chuck was working on removing the radiator, so that we could replace the speedo cable. It wasn't long before Lisa swung by and told me play time was over. So, I finished up and left for the day.

Sunday, the clutch assembly was still giving us grief. The clevis pin did not want to come out of the fork and clutch pedal. The speedometer cable was replaced and the radiator was put back in, along with a good used fan from Chuck's magic shelves. We knew that the old fan had some clearance issues so, we tried to correct it while we were in there. We put in a different spacer setup for the fan and put everything back together. We thought that it had enough clearance, but on start up and it very noisily hitting something. So, the radiator shroud came back out and we notched it to see if we could get more clearance. After that, it went back in, but it ended up hitting again. When we initially took it out, there were manifold washers on the bottom bracket to push it up, but we had no idea why they were down there. We still think that they were unnecessary.

Today, Chuck set to work on the clutch assembly and finally got it apart by dremeling off the fork and removing the brake and clutch pedals. The new master cylinder is now in place and ready to bleed. I took the radiator out completely today and tried to reset it up. After assembly and further messing about with it, the fan is still hitting. We will see how tomorrow goes, the radiator might be coming out again. Thanks to Chuck again, for keeping the progress going, without his knowledge I have no idea where I would be right now.

The clutch pedal to the left is the one that caused the issue. You can see the clevin pin setup in the brake pedal.

The master cylinder (one on the right) that doesn't want to be removed.

Radiator out:

New speedo cable in:

Fuel line re-run and breather hose in:

Getting ready to modify the radiator shroud:

New clutch master in, yay!:

been around the block a few times unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken's Avatar
    Did any fancy gas make its way into your car yet?
    Have you talked to Dr. Chuck about it?

I think I mentioned it to him. I have been thinking about going to one in Issaquah, but both the Seattle locations and Issaquah location aren't that convenient for me. I haven't driven it enough to get gas yet anyways!

How about now?

Normal Member 90mk2golf will become famous soon enough 90mk2golf's Avatar
    I saw your wheels at Dave's, btw that color you picked is the one I used on my suspension it's gonna look great.

Thanks, ya. I told him I wanted a gunmetal color and he showed me some brackets that he had for you. I am looking forward to running them, I still need to order tires for them though.

The Mini is back home. The clutch master has been bled, and the catch point has been adjusted. The clutch feels a lot snappier now, as there was probably air in the lines from the leaking master. The speedo is still not working, I think its because they cheaped out with the new cable. It is more of an oval shape where it goes into the transmission instead of the old square peg design. The diameter was the same, so we decided to try it. Chuck said that he has run into that issue before. The radiator is in and there is no more squeeling. It ended up being a bolt head on the bottom brack scraping against one of the pulleys. Chuck already set the camber and toe so I can drive it a bit. I am hoping that the suspension settles quite a bit as it is too high right now and the front hilo's are all the way down. In terms of driving, with the new suspension and clutch master, it is way more enjoyable to drive. I just wish I had a speedometer.

I am still a bit iffy on taking it to the PT Cruise, but it would be fun to bring it.

so are there are other pressing issues right now that make the car not reliable in your mind?
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

Nothing that I know of off the top of my head. It is mostly just the lack of driving it because of issues. I think I have driven it less than 200 miles since I bought it.

The night before the PT cruise, I did an oil change in it. I am glad I did and that I warmed it up a bit. The magnetic drain plug had a good amount of larger shards in it and there was a good amount of sludge that was attached to it as well. I am thinking about doing another oil change within a month. I also got together a ghetto tool kit, made sure I had an extra quart of oil, extra water/antifreeze mix, and some tools up in the cabin that I could grab quick. I woke up Saturday morning and knew that it would be a bad idea to take it. The front and rear windscreen seals haven't been replaced yet and the window seals in the doors are shot. I have to order the door seals from Australia, so they are pretty low on my list. Hopefully, I can take it on some other cruises this year.

everyone probably knows me by now Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl's Avatar
    Yeah, one thing I can't stand are water leaks. Sadly the '55 has lots of those. At least all seals are available new though.

Ya, I'll just drive in on the nicer days for now.

So, last Thursday, I drove the Mini to work. It did ok, but it was doing it's whole die when coming to a stop thing... I was getting decent at giving it a bit of a rev before it came to a stop, so it would keep running. After I got home from work, I was going to take the Mini to the gym, but it had other plans. About a block and a half from my house, I came up to a stop, it died like normal, but this time it kept dieing on start up. I took it back home and drove another car to the gym.

Saturday, I dropped off the Mini so that I could work on it on Monday. Chuck got bored or something and had it fixed pretty quickly. It was idling too low and running too lean. The weird part is that the exhaust would pop when going down a hill in 2nd gear, which made me think that it was running too rich. Acceleration is much smoother now and it doesn't die at stops. The main issue is that the idle screw doesn't have a spring to keep it in position, so it keeps going out of adjustment. It is a part I am going to look into trying to source.

Yesterday's project was the shifter assembly / rod change setup, it has been super sloppy for awhile now. We first pulled the shifter out to compare it against other ones, but the only thing we found was that the spring in it seemed a bit soft. Next up, we inspected the interesting home made mount setup for the rod change, one of the mounts was pretty shot. The final part we inspected was the rod change coupler, and it was the worst that Chuck has ever seen. We replaced the rod change coupler with a good used item and replaced the mounts that they had on their home made setup with rear exhaust mounts. The car shifts a whole lot nicer now and you actually feel like you can find the gears now.

Destroyed coupler, too much play...

Interesting mount setup for the rod change...

New to me coupler...

Roll pins wired in to stiffen it up a bit more.

Teaser shot of the wheels I got awhile back, some issues are still getting sorted out with the inner spokes.

Chuck does great work and you're lucky to have him as a Mini friend! Hehe You should place a random parts order to restock some of his bits!

Nice wheel!

Getting closer to emptying out that gas tank yet?

Euro-Elitist Moderator VDubVirus has a spectacular aura about VDubVirus has a spectacular aura about VDubVirus's Avatar
    love the wheel. will look awesome on the mini.
    SOME PEOPLE ARE NARROW MINDED, OTHERS LIVE IN REALITY ~ EURO-ELITISM

l Arron lSPACE

Quote: Originally Posted by unimogken View Post
    Chuck does great work and you're lucky to have him as a Mini friend! Hehe You should place a random parts order to restock some of his bits!

Nice wheel!

Getting closer to emptying out that gas tank yet?
    I usually do most of the work and he supervises. I always replace his inventory, or buy it off him.

Looking forward to putting the wheels on, I am just going to swap my tires over.

The gas tank is full of ethanol crap fuel!

Quote: Originally Posted by VDubVirus View Post
    love the wheel. will look awesome on the mini.
    Thanks!

everyone probably knows me by now Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by buddylove View Post
    The gas tank is full of ethanol crap fuel!
    This too can be fixed!

Excuses excuses!

that wheel looks nice..
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

I guess he is still dealing with the other ones? I have just seen the photo he texted me. Hope they are done soon!

What's the lug pattern on this thing?
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

4x101.6

If I wanted to run 13" (which I don't) 4x100 wheels, they do make wobble nuts.

+ Reply to Thread