Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cleaning overspray from chrome?

everyone probably knows me by now Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl's Avatar

Cleaning overspray from chrome?

Ok, some of you might know I own a '55 Ford Customline 2 door post.

Some of you might also know that I spent every weekend last year working on the darn thing.

Whilst the car was without a motor, I took the liberty of detailing the engine bay, which also included a bunch of spraypaint. I thought I had everything masked off nicely but I found traces of overspray on my chrome grille. So minor I didn't even notice it until I used the chrome polish on it and could feel the texture.

Before I bring out the lacquer thinner, what would be the best way to remove said overspray?

Onto the pictures...the car is i storage right now so I don't have any details on the grille...

been around the block a few times EK20 is a jewel in the rough EK20 is a jewel in the rough EK20's Avatar
    Did you try WD-40?
    The soul that pines for eternity shall outspan death. You, dweller of the twilight void, come Dunwich

"I cannot sleep unless I am surrounded by books."
    - Jorge Luis Borges

if the chrome is good quality, use 0000 steel wool and chrome polish. you could do an acetone wipe as well.

well... always try claybar first. It can get a lot of things off, and is least likely to do damage. If that doesn't work, you're digging into heavy duty cleaners, paint thinner, or polish
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

everyone probably knows me by now Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl's Avatar
    Thanks everyone, yeah, I haven't done anything with the car after I got it up and running

It was time to put the car away...I drove it for like 2 weeks and now it's in a storage unit, a really crowded storage unit.

So I'm hoping spring will be here soon so I can get back to work.

That thing is super rad!

Quote: Originally Posted by rainierfuller View Post
    That thing is super rad!
    Thanks! It's as much of a money pit as it is fast. But I LOVE it!!!

Normal Member dub boy will become famous soon enough dub boy's Avatar
    I would try the soapy SOS pads that can be purchased at just about any grocery store. there is also a chrome polish called NEVR DULL by eagle one that works well on my exhaust tips and other chrome bits...

Normal Member Chris will become famous soon enough
    Quote: Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    if the chrome is good quality, use 0000 steel wool and chrome polish. you could do an acetone wipe as well.
    lol you stole my answer

+ Reply to Thread