monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: the Black Slug

I think the wagon makes the mk5 look good
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

it's been a disappointing 4 or so months for the wagon. It performed wonderfully on the way to and from Austin in November (about 5500 miles), including spending several days at the Harris Hill Road track south of Austin. I love the car. However, on my way back from the track one night I hit a large tire carcass. It destroyed the lower grille, lower part of the front bumper, broke tabs and scratched up the euro gti lip, busted a tab on the passenger side fog light, cracked one of the R-Line fog grilles, and made the lower grille trim piece completely disappear. I have an insurance claim on all of this, with my annoying $500 deductible. So, I'll have this taken care of in the next couple of months.

In the mean time the car hasn't been cleaned since before I left in the middle of November. It had nearly 12k miles of dirt as of this morning.. both the car and the wheels were all gray . The car was quite clearly the dirtiest it has ever been (after 4.25 years and 120k miles).

I started washing the car today. After two hours the paint is mostly clean.. though it definitely needs to be clay bar'd again. I had to wash the car twice because the first time I went over the paint the water instantly turned dirty and ran dirt down the side of the car.

The wheels will have to wait for another day. I expect it to take me 3 - 4 hours just to wash those.

I also removed all of the broken grilles from the frontend and replaced with my GTI/GLI stuff. The lower grille doesn't fit on the bottom edge because the bumper is so busted, but the car looks sooo much better now.

the damage:

the dirt:

partly clean:

more clean:

better looking:

the car has also decided that it's intake manifold flap motor should stop working... and apparently the motor is way too freakin' expensive, so that's another thing that has to be taken care of soon, and that will take fun money away from the M3 (and the wagon)
    Last edited by joel; 2013.03.09 at 18:55 PM.
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!

Euro-Elitist Moderator VDubVirus has a spectacular aura about VDubVirus has a spectacular aura about VDubVirus's Avatar
    Sad times, Joel.
    SOME PEOPLE ARE NARROW MINDED, OTHERS LIVE IN REALITY ~ EURO-ELITISM

l Arron lSPACE

my driver's seat base is also pretty torn up now.. I really need some cloth heated GTI seats

Normal Member ExplosiveToaster will become famous soon enough ExplosiveToaster's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by joel View Post
    I really need some cloth heated GTI seats
    Do it. As much as I love my car for speed, I think my most favorite feature is still the heated seats. Sucks about the front end though! There's always something that goes wrong on the really long road trips
    Last edited by ExplosiveToaster; 2013.03.14 at 22:47 PM.
    - Mike | My Photos | '16 VW Golf R | '87 Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.3-16

I already have heated seats... they are perforated vinyl "leatherette". They're nice.. I like them.. except for the smaller bolsters, and worse, the tearing of the driver's seat base from general wear & tear. My ultimate plan is to take cloth GTI front seats and recover with leather.

Regular Member Helios is on a distinguished road Helios's Avatar
    She'd look damn fine with light bronze/gold wheels.

I finally washed the Cobra a couple weeks ago myself. All that de-icer is messy stuff.
    -Chris S.

"If they ain't a little too wide, they ain't wide enough!"
    '76 Mk1 / '86 Rocco / '87 XR4Ti / '93.5 SLC / '94 SVT / '95 RS / '03 GC Limited

really? I can't imagine gold wheels on the car.

this was photoshopped a while back though..

Normal Member ExplosiveToaster will become famous soon enough ExplosiveToaster's Avatar
    Sawblades.
    - Mike | My Photos | '16 VW Golf R | '87 Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.3-16

haha... I'm not sure how that'd look, but it's definitely not the sort of look I'm going for

I'm still very happy with how the Euromesh 3 wheels look on the car. I love the look. I also, surprisingly, like how the Audi Sport wheels look on the car, even though they're heavier.

so yeah.. the turbo broke (at 122,436 miles) last Tuesday while in Anacortes (as discussed in the chit chat thread). After lots of waiting, a tow, two busses, and a couple friends' cars, I got home. The car went to Fine Tuning. The new turbo arrived this week, oil return line, a bunch of seals and gaskets, etc. were replaced. All is better now.

The turbo is louder than it was before.. and it definitely spins up more quickly. I wonder how long the old one was failing. The car feels like it has more power as well. I had noticed a possible reduction in power starting around 105k miles.. but I couldn't be sure until now. Interesting.. I think.

Thanks Chris & Fine Tuning

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar
    Glad to help! Good to hear it has more power now as well! I will also let Shawn know of your gratitude

Sorry I didnt get a chance to show you the old one. The shaft was broken in half.

yeah.. I would have liked to have seen it. I am rather curious about how it broke... it seems like it must have been spinning less freely for a while

+ Reply to Thread