Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 21 ... LastLast

Thread: That diesel bunny.

everyone probably knows me by now Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl's Avatar

That diesel bunny.

So as some of you already know, I purchased Joe's '80 diesel bunny.
    I drove it down to the farm last night and enjoyed the ride tremendously!

Of course I didn't remember to take pictures, so I'll just borrow one of his...this is how it sits currently :

1.5 diesel with a 4 speed, soon to become a 5.
    I already picked up a FF code transmission.

I bet people can't wait to see what I do with this one! I'm SOOOO excited right now and full of ideas.

Euro-Elitist Moderator VDubVirus has a spectacular aura about VDubVirus has a spectacular aura about VDubVirus's Avatar
    very nice! I think my favorite thing about the MkI is the gas cap...
    SOME PEOPLE ARE NARROW MINDED, OTHERS LIVE IN REALITY ~ EURO-ELITISM

l Arron lSPACE

changed to 'project'
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

everyone probably knows me by now Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl's Avatar
    Thanks! Yes, it is a project.

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    How'd it fair on the driveway up there?
    -Tyler-

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar
    Start saving for a 1.6L if you actually are certain you have a 1.5L. Nice car!

Quote: Originally Posted by twardnw View Post
    How'd it fair on the driveway up there?
    Oh man, it was rough! First the dirt road and then the driveway.
    I was tired and forgot that the bottom of the driveway had washed out with all that floodwater...needless to say I bottomed out.
    Checked things this morning and I didn't damage anything *phew*

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough
    Nice! Looking forward to this one (more then the Jetta project) If I didn't like Mini's so much, I'd have a Rabbit.

Normal Member machetephil will become famous soon enough
    Very nice. Can't wait to see how this turns out. Makes me want to work on mine, just gotta wait for it to warm up.

everyone probably knows me by now girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood's Avatar
    Nice! I love that color! I was hoping he'd trade for mine hehe

been around the block a few times unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken's Avatar
    Very cool!
    Glad someone picked this up here because I was super tempted when I saw it for sale!

Quote: Originally Posted by Rabbit 16v View Post
    Start saving for a 1.6L if you actually are certain you have a 1.5L. Nice car!
    It is a 1.5 for sure, what makes it a bad motor?
    I've had a few 1.6'es, they are getting hard to come by and expensive.

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar
    1.5ls are not necessarily a 'bad' motor per se, but they are not nearly as robust as a later model 1.6l. 1.5ls are known for the head cracking. this is a well documented situation unfortunately. If you are looking for a 1.6l, try to get one with hydraulic lifters. At the very least, get one after 1983 as the head bolts are larger and make the head gasket less prone to failure. Especially if you add a turbo. All that said, a 1.6l with 11mm head bolts is still a better engine than a 1.5l and I am not even taking torque into consideration when I say that.

yup. get a 1.6. nice car.
    if i didnt already have the caddy, i'd have looked really hard at this one I love the color.

Ok. I'll be on the lookout for a 1.6

In other news I received a blower motor and an old ladder style roof rack today!

Sunday I'm going down to Oregon with one goal...to bring the Rabbit back!

Normal Member VWsEatRice is on a distinguished road VWsEatRice's Avatar
    i might have a lead on a low mile rebuilt 1.6

his caddy was rearended by a drunk while parked on the street. hes waiting on insurance. he gave me his cache of parts.

Quote: Originally Posted by VWsEatRice View Post
    i might have a lead on a low mile rebuilt 1.6

his caddy was rearended by a drunk while parked on the street. hes waiting on insurance. he gave me his cache of parts.
    Sorry to hear about that Keep me posted though. What color is the interior?

Normal Member VWsEatRice is on a distinguished road VWsEatRice's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
    Sorry to hear about that Keep me posted though. What color is the interior?
    will do. tannish brown

Nice Izzy. I was wondering where that green rabbit went Looking forward to seeing what you do to it.
    Gordy S
    MK1 Scirocco x 4

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    Here's some pics I took of it for Joe right after he bought it

-Tyler-

never even knew he had this car...
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

Tyler, thank you for the pictures! Here are a few I took this morning...frosty!

My "shop" in the background :

So, the heater worked...for a while.

I need some ideas, this is what happened :

- There was power to the switch.
    - There was power only at speed selection #1 at the connector going to the blower motor.
    - There was low voltage but still enough to activate the load reduction relay at the black/yellow wire.

Ok, fine, I could deal with that, I just connected a low speed wire from the fan to the one that still had power.

That worked for a while, but now there's nothing. There's no power at fuse #10 for the blower circuit. The fuse hasn't blown either. And the fuse panel is brand new actually.

Old VW's and their wiring...I'm always tempted to start over new

Pin # D19 on the back of the fusebox has likely melted. It is located in the blue plug in the corner. I recommend relaying that wire. It is black with a red stripe. The fan switch does not activate the load reduction relay. Its more vice versa as the relay is activated by the ignition switch. Do the wipers and turn signals work?

Quote: Originally Posted by Rabbit 16v View Post
    Pin # D19 on the back of the fusebox has likely melted. It is located in the blue plug in the corner. I recommend relaying that wire. It is black with a red stripe. The fan switch does not activate the load reduction relay. Its more vice versa as the relay is activated by the ignition switch. Do the wipers and turn signals work?
    Ok, I'll locate and relay that one. So in the connector coming from the fan switch to the motor is a black/yellow wire, when I put a test light (to ground) to that one I could hear the load reduction relay click for sure, would that be a short somewhere then?

Everything else is working fine, great now that I cleaned the wiring harness in the trunk. Wipers and turns are great!

Does it have AC? Or used to? By using the test light, you are backfeeding ground to the relay so I wouldnt really count that as anything right now.

+ Reply to Thread