monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 7 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread: That diesel bunny.

everyone probably knows me by now Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl's Avatar
    Oh, the Bunny now has a new PCV system. I really hope this will solve the run away issue.
    Granted, the motor has not ran away since that dreadful night.

Comments welcome!

that engine bay looks too clean
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

very nicely done. that's how it's supposed to work.
    keep in mind that the crankcase pressure *does* push oil up the tube, so the seal at the bottom must be excellent.

I plan on replacing mine, how much was it altogether?

everyone probably knows me by now Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by joel View Post
    that engine bay looks too clean
    Haha, the engine bay is filthy! I should have taken a pressure washer to it when it was empty...but then again, grease prevents rust.

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar
    Looks good! the only critique I have that I cannot tell for sure is that the hose clamp at the breather valve connection that goes to the intake should be wrapped around the tab on the valve cover as well. hope that does the trick!

Quote: Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    I plan on replacing mine, how much was it altogether?
    Tough to say, I bought a couple of pieces that I didn't end up using, but about $100 for what you see there.

Quote: Originally Posted by Rabbit 16v View Post
    Looks good! the only critique I have that I cannot tell for sure is that the hose clamp at the breather valve connection that goes to the intake should be wrapped around the tab on the valve cover as well. hope that does the trick!
    Yeah, the hose going over the air box prevents me from doing that, the edge of the box would really cut into the hose that way. But I'll ad a little zip tie.

on mine I have the hose clamp wrapped around the tab on the valve cover. It keeps the whole thing in place and has not leaked from that spot with it that way.

interesting comment from someone on vwcaddy.com about their non-turbo AAZ:

Quote: Yeah, interestingly, this one is currently de-turbo'd. Running a pretty new later NA pump, GTI dual down exhaust and an odd looking breather box. Below 3K feet or so it's pretty damn good, better low end than I remember a 1.6TD having and as much mid-range, if not top end. I have the turbo stuff and it'll go back on one day. We drove from Oklahoma to Santa Barbara in June with the AC on and I think Flagstaff was the only place it really was badly lacking power. A NA 1.6 would have been unbearable there but the 1.9 held it's own.

I have to say, with the fuel turned way up on the pump, this thing is actually becoming nice to drive. (did I just really say that?)

With the 1.6NA or 1.5, you really had to prepare yourself when a hill was coming up. Get up to speed, knowing you were going to slow down.
    Not anymore. It will now hold its speed going uphill, on smaller inclines it will even accelerate. The big test will be next weekend driving over the Cascade mountains.

Anyone selling a set of snow tires?

Quote: Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
    on smaller inclines it will even accelerate
    !!!!
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

ROFL that's awesome! did you finally trade your calendar in for an analog clock as a tool for measuring performance?

ROFL that's awesome! did you finally trade your calendar in for an analog clock as a tool for measuring performance?
    Close. I'm at the sundial.

It's been joked that I honed my project planning skills over the years by driving 240D mercedes

Haha, well, when I started driving, it was a Triumph TR7. So I'm generally about an half an hour early at appointments. Still.

This is my fifth VW n/a diesel. That must have something to do with me being early too.

Oh and yes, the new PCV system seems to be doing what it's supposed to.

There is a lot less oil in the intake and running the engine no longer soaks the air filter in oil. It doesn't appear to be burning anymore oil.

Nice! Thanks guys!

So this week it hasn't used enough oil for me to notice on the dipstick. Great!

2 studless winter tires are now installed up front. I was hoping this would prevent the snow from falling but it's not looking good

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar
    Nice! Take those snow tires off right now though! I want snow!

No way, I'm leaving for Bend at 4am. I'll need them!

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough
    It can snow everyday except Sundays... I drive the Mini on Sundays and it doesn't have a heater...

good luck! do you have a block heater and the cord for it?

good luck! do you have a block heater and the cord for it?
    No block heater. I don't know why you would need one, I've never had a VW diesel fail to start because of cold weather, even back in Maine, when it reached -20 degrees. 2 cycles of the glow plugs and vroom.

I never did make it to Bend.
    I tried. I probably *could* have made it there, but I would never have been able to make it back in the dark. I almost made it to the summit of Santiam pass.
    There were absolutely no cars on the road, it felt eerie at times. Blizzard conditions, chains required, which I didn't have. (I'll never understand the infatuation with chains the west coast seems to have)
    The only vehicle I did see driving around was a grader with chains on, clearing the road. There was a man with a Prius, turning around and then trying to get chains mounted. There were also 3 tractor trailer trucks stuck on the side of the road, one tow truck trying to get someone out.
    Visibility was poor and turned to nil as I was reaching the summit, hence I turned around.

I took a couple of pictures when I was still driving around happily.

Here's a snow bunny :

Now, the problem was that, as I started to climb and slow down, the engine started to cool too, so not much defrost = I started not being able to see anything...on the way back down the engine turned stone cold.

You can see the headlights of the Prius there, I went by him going up and then again going down :

I do feel like a wimp. It's been a long day, I'm not sure if I did the right thing. I did lose out but not completely. All in all I consumed about $58 in fuel for about 600 miles. That's about 40mpg.

Next time bring a piece of cardboard to stick in front of the radiator. I forgot to mention that today when we talked. I ended up having to black half my radiator when I lived in Leavenworth to keep the car at operating temp.

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    also, you went the wrong way! Santiam pass is the least-best option Use Hwy 97, it's a bit longer, but at much lower elevations.
    -Tyler-

Well, Snoqualmie pass was closed and they required chains mounted to go through Rt 26...it was the only way left.

Quote: Originally Posted by Rabbit 16v View Post
    Next time bring a piece of cardboard to stick in front of the radiator. I forgot to mention that today when we talked. I ended up having to black half my radiator when I lived in Leavenworth to keep the car at operating temp.
    funny you mention that as I was driving in to work today at 32F and the car took 2/3 the way to work to make heat I was thinking it was time to put a new cardboard on.

+ Reply to Thread