Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 24 ... LastLast

Thread: That diesel bunny.

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar
    The cable should not have any tension on it when at idle. It should have some slack. If you have the cable too tight, it will break after repeated full throttle movements. The cable should be adjusted in a manner that when the pedal is fully depressed, the throttle should just come to the full throttle stop.

everyone probably knows me by now Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl's Avatar
    Ouch, thank you for that info. I'll put the old one back in before I leave for home today.

everyone probably knows me by now Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl's Avatar
    Ok, I'm wet to the bone, but I got the old cable back in.

Finally got someone to step on the throttle pedal, just as I suspected, the throttle on the pump only opens about 3/4 of the way when the pedal is pushed to the floor.

What to do?

i had to remove the stop from the floorboard on my car to get full pedal movement. ensure that nothing is stopping it down there before you look at the cable.

There is no stop on the floor. I don't see anything wrong with the pedal assembly either, but it doesn't seem to have much travel (about an inch and a half?)

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    I have had problems with improperly positioned hose clamps on the heater core making contact with the pedal
    -Tyler-

do you want me to see if I can get a part number off mine? I know I'm getting the right travel. I can take a pic of the bracket on my pump, too.
    lemme know if you need any info to sort this out.

No hose clamps in the way. I'm still wondering if it's the darn carpet not allowing the pedal to go down far enough.
    I'll keep digging into this.
    So right now I'm using the factory cable for an '80 rabbit diesel.

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar
    one thing that can lead to your issue is if the throttle cable was improperly adjusted in the past. Very common since people seem to think the cable needs to be taut at idle. The result? Bent pedal. I have had to bend the pedal back into shape (more throw) many times in the past to make it function properly.

Ah, thank you for that! I'll check that out tomorrow.

Quote: Originally Posted by Rabbit 16v View Post
    one thing that can lead to your issue is if the throttle cable was improperly adjusted in the past. Very common since people seem to think the cable needs to be taut at idle. The result? Bent pedal. I have had to bend the pedal back into shape (more throw) many times in the past to make it function properly.
    interesting. maybe a combination of removing the stop AND bending the pedal?

You shouldn't need to remove the stop. That is why it is there and adjustable.

Quote: Originally Posted by Rabbit 16v View Post
    You shouldn't need to remove the stop. That is why it is there and adjustable.
    That's why I need a stop.

I did bend the pedal up a bit today, but I didn't dare to go too much as I was afraid to break it. I had no idea it was so flimsy.

hm. i dont want to bend the pedal cause I like the angle it sits at now

Just a heads up, this whole process will involve two people or a prop to hold the pedal down so you can check each adjustment.

yeah I had my kid do it.

OFF
    WOT
    OFF
    WOT
    OFF
    WOT

ok got it thanks!

Got mine too

Now onto the next one, I got quite the scare last night.
    I had been traveling south on I5, like I do every weekend it seems, when I pulled over to get some diesel.

Shut the car off, filled it up, fired it back up and moved it into the parking lot while I went into the store.
    So maybe 10 minutes or so go by when I crank it over again.
    The engine proceeds to run away! I freak out, but by the time I get my hand back on the ignition key to shut it off, it idles fine again.

I checked everything I could whilst in the dark, I'm pretty sure it wasn't the throttle cable. The rest of the trip the car runs without a hitch.
    I've never had a diesel run away on me before, what the heck can cause this? And more importantly, what sort of damage can that have done to my motor?

This morning it fired up like nothing happened.

Thanks.

It likely hasnt done any damage to the motor. The basic design of the engine is very similar to its petrol counterpart. I have had my Scirocco up to 6500 rpm and no issue.

Now, on to what may be causing this; does your crankcase breather go from the block to the valve cover to the intake? If it just goes from the valve cover to the intake, you could be getting too much blowby causing oil to accumulate in the intake manifold and under the right condition, it will run on this oil. Take the air cleaner out and look in there to verify.

Another possible reason is there may be an issue with the pump. I have only seen this on pumps that have either been modified or have been sitting for a very long time.

I know you have mentioned before that it seems low on power, so that may be an indicator of excessive blowby. That engine should be able to maintain you at 80mph without an issue.

The crankcase breather does go from the block to the valve cover and into the intake.
    I removed the air cleaner today and found it soaked with oil. Luckily I always keep at least 1 spare filter on hand so I replaced it with a new one.
    The engine was also down a half a quart on oil...so I think we can be pretty certain where that went.

It runs great though but is down on power for sure. The throttle cable is adjusted properly so I can't blame it on that.

Oh, the 1.9 hasn't gotten this Rabbit up to 80mph, ever. It did make it to 70 last weekend, downhill and with 50mph winds pushing it. Oh, it has an FF code transmission so I know it's not a gearing problem either.

I shouldn't have this problem. Everything is new, yet it is much slower than my Mk2 Jetta with over 300k miles on a 1.6d ever was.

do you know the history on this engine? Perhaps a compression test might be in order. The tall gearing isnt really going to help much (especially with the tall final drive), but it still should be able to do it. What do you have the pump timing set to?

I think the oil in the air cleaner is a pretty telling sign.. unfortunately..

The engine is a brand new Eurospec one. So fortunately it has a 12 month warranty. I was really hoping to have reliable transportation, this shouldn't be happening.

I've sold everything I possibly could this year trying to keep this thing going, it's an understatement to say that I'm a bit upset right now.

So first thing tomorrow I'll call DJM to see if they have time for a compression test on my way home to Seattle.

Is it a 100% German engine, or does it have a Chinese head? I assume you did a proper break in procedure? It certainly should be under warranty, those things are not cheap!

It looks to be a German engine, I'll see if there are any markings on the head.

And yes, I babied this thing, broke it in doing 500 freeway miles and 500 more in-town. Changed oil, always watched RPM's (by ear), never ever pushed the engine before it was warmed up,...

Bunny is back in Seattle!

Joey at DJM spent hours on it today trying to figure it out. Something I'm very grateful for.
    But a long answer short, he didn't find anything wrong. So his recommendation was to add an oil catch can.

He did play with the injector pump too, checked the timing. Removed the tamper proof sleeve from the fuel screw.

It's got all kinds of power now, cruises at 70mph no problem and will even go faster if you punch the throttle!

Needless to say I'm extremely happy with that.

+ Reply to Thread