Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 22 ... LastLast

Thread: That diesel bunny.

everyone probably knows me by now Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl's Avatar
    Yes, it used to have A/C. I think I might be better off looking at the blower circuit for the Scirocco as my Bentley for the 1980 Rabbit doesn't seem to have the correct diagram.

everyone probably knows me by now Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl's Avatar
    Ok, so if I look at that diagram it appears that the A/C type blower motor operates differently from the non-A/C.

Am I correct if it looks like the blower is supposed to have power and the switch only creates a ground?

So by hooking power to one of the resistor wires (red/grey) to motor is spinning backwards?

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar
    ok the black/yellow wire should be the wire to activate the AC relay. probably just backfeeding current. how many fan speeds? 4 or 3? the scirocco diagram should work as long as its for an pre 1982 sciroccos. It will be the same.

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar
    the black/yellow wire is usually used for speed 4 and it used to close the circuit for the relay for the high speed fan operation. Basically what this means is that the blower motor gets input from the switch for the first 3 speeds and then circumvents that load on speed 4 through the relay. Mind you, everything I am saying right now is only from memory, so it is possible that I am incorrect. Not likely though

Hehe, I trust you more than my diagram reading skills

So yes, the switch has 4 speeds. What got this whole thing started is that the connector coming from the switch differs from the one on the motor.

The car has a 5 prong rectangular shaped one and the blower motor has a funny shaped connector also with 5 wires but one that goes directly to ground.
    And I ordered the blower motor for a '80 Rabbit with A/C...

Well, do you have a pic or PN for the blower you ordered? There were some wierd blower/AC things going on in those years. I heard the AC debacle had to do with some deal with Chrysler cause VWaG couldnt make AC systems worht a shit. Not sure, but I heard that deal had something to do with why the US saw its first 1.7l VW motor in a Dodge Omni/Horizon before it was ever installed in a VW for the US market. sounds to me like you have wierd stuff going on with blowers. does the replacement blower match the old one? wiring and all that?

That 1.7 seems like a poor little orphan...first they use a carbureted version in the Omni's and then the CIS injected only in US Rabbits/Jettas...I've never quite understood why that little engine was used at all.

Sadly there isn't an old blower. The PO threw everything away.
    Now it has a heater box out of a later Cabriolet.

I purchased a new original VW blower motor, part # 171820021D that puppy was $212...yikes!
    Last edited by Iroczgirl; 2012.02.06 at 20:07 PM.

FWIW, with the Weber/Holley copy carb, it had more power and better emissions. It wasnt a bad engine, torque was nice. more for Murricans though as they like to shift at 2500rpm.

Got a pic of what you are trying to attach the new motor to?

I only have ETOS at home and it says that part number is obsolete.

Well yeah, I did enjoy that 1.7 in the Jetta, it made the car move nicely. And I am one of these 'murricans that likes to shift around 3k

Here's a picture of the motor :

If I can find a flashlight I'll take a pic of the plug on the car.

Ok, here we go, some more pictures :

This is the plug coming from the blower switch :

These are the wire colors going to that plug :

Top 2 left to right : 1st = brown and yellow with black stripe.
    2nd = white
    Bottom 3 left to right : 1st = faded red?? and red with black stripe
    2nd = grey
    3rd = black

I never cut the plug on the motor end, I was smart enough to keep all the wiring from the Cabby. So I've spliced in on the other end :

Ok, IIRC the ground (brown) wire grounds inside after the other side of the plug. The rest is just the 5 pin connector. The tricky part here is that the motor in this pic is consistent with cabby, jetta and scirocco stuff. Things are kinda wierd with murrican made rabbits. especially 79-80 as it tries to use original german wiring with some wierd 'extras'. Got a pic of the old motor? Sorry I am not much help here.

Just saw your recent pics. I am lost now. I would need to look at a manual. Are you intending to keep the AC? It might be more prudent to ditch all of it and stick with non ac setup..

Sorry, I wish I had the old motor

The only thing I can say is that the plug had no power anywhere, except if you put the switch into the "1" position, you had power at the red and red/black stripe combo.
    If you moved the switch to any other position, you wouldn't have power at any of the contacts.

Quote: Originally Posted by Rabbit 16v View Post
    Just saw your recent pics. I am lost now. I would need to look at a manual. Are you intending to keep the AC? It might be more prudent to ditch all of it and stick with non ac setup..
    I could care less about the A/C. The only problem is that the heater box is controlled with vacuum where as non-A/C is all cable.
    So I'd need the sliding selector/cables, non-A/C switch and related wiring from the fuse panel.

If you remove the switch and check for power, you should have 12v at the black/red wire with the key in the on position.

If you remove the switch and check for power, you should have 12v at the black/red wire with the key in the on position.
    Yeah, since I lost power everywhere I'm going to start my way back from the fuse panel tomorrow.
    I'll figure this out. I'm always cold so heat is REALLY important to me

I think I figured it out. The '80 blower motor must have been different from all other years.

This is the way the motor I got needs to be hooked up I think :

- Red/black stripe = high speed, from relayed source
    - White = speed #3
    - Red/white = speed #2
    - Black/yellow = speed #1
    - Brown = ground

Now of course the switch on the car works the opposite way, by providing ground...

- Yellow/black = speed #1
    - Gray = speed #2
    - White = speed #3
    - Black = speed #4

Red/black needs to be key on power.
    Black needs to go to a relay (that wasn't there in 1980)
    There is only a brown ground wire on the switch socket, this needs to get changed to power with key on.

I'll go out on my lunch break tomorrow and test this theory...

Got it right! Wooohoo! I have a fan with different speeds now.
    So if anyone ever has this question again, the blower switch in a '80 Rabbit with A/C is wired the exact opposite of all the other years...

On to the next, does anyone have a pin readout on the glow plug relay?

That's currently not working so I want to trace and fix that.

congrats! WRT the GPR, if you can tell me what the numbers/letters are on the relay that correspond with the pins, I can tell you where they go. At home again with no wiring diagram, but this one I know for certain off the top of my head.

Thanks!! Ok, here goes.

There are the bigger pins #30 and 87. Those I use with a little push button in between them to run the glow plugs for a few seconds. #30 always has power.
    Then we have "regular" spade size pins #85 and 86. I have power at pin 86 with the key on.
    There are 3 tiny pins, labeled 50, L and T. None of these have power.

Numbers 30, 85, 86 and 87 are straightforward because that's how a regular Bosch relay is laid out.
    But where do the other ones go?

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    one of those other pins is a temp input
    -Tyler-

30 is always hot from the battery
    87 is load to the glow plugs
    85 is ground (always)
    86 is terminal 15 key on power
    T goes to the sender of the coolant neck on the side of the head
    L goes to the glow plug light

I may have 85 and 86 confused. I ALWAYS get 85 and 86 confused cause it really doesnt matter that much..

I may have 85 and 86 confused. I ALWAYS get 85 and 86 confused cause it really doesnt matter that much..
    Haha, I was just thinking the same thing! I couldn't remember for sure if it was 85 or 86 that had power when I checked it earlier today.

But in order for the relay to function, what needs to happen? Obviously the L terminal just grounds through the bulb.

What happens at the T and 50 terminals? Is the temp sensor open or closed when the engine is cold?

Oh yeah, sorry about the 50 connection. That is a starter trigger input. Not really that important but since the car is a factor diesel, it should be connected. The temp sensor is a variable potentiometer type resistor, not really a switch. If you ground the wire going to the sender, it should run the glow plugs and turn on the light. the wire for it is blue/green or blue/yellow. I cant remember. I am pretty sure it is the blue/green though.

Cool. Thanks for the info! I'll be at it again during lunch tomorrow.

+ Reply to Thread