Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 25 ... LastLast

Thread: That diesel bunny.

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough
    Ya, mine would fit with no issue. Between Ken and I, you'll end up with one. I am not using mine anytime soon, so you can come grab it and keep it for as long as you need it.

everyone probably knows me by now Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl's Avatar
    Hey, thanks guys!! I can't believe the response I've gotten. I'd end up with 4 engine hoists

I have one lined up in Vancouver, which would be a lot easier on the Golf's suspension I think.

So this weekend, if I don't forget to take pictures again, there will be an engine swap at a certain farm in coastal Oregon.

For now I only have this lousy cellphone pic from when I started the dis-assembly yesterday. I got rained on a lot, so I concentrated on work, not pictures.

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar
    That car used to have AC?

everyone probably knows me by now Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by Rabbit 16v View Post
    That car used to have AC?
    It sure did! What a pain it was to find a heater box for it...and then a blower motor!
    I'm still missing some of the ductwork inside the dash so I'm toying with the idea to just find all the correct non-A/C pieces and weld the extra 'vent hole' in the firewall shut.

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar
    I have all of the non AC stuff (I think). Did you drop off a car about 1.5hrs ago? If so, next time wave for the camera

I did that too. Good thing you have a camera! There were some sketchy people walking in that neighborhood last night.

I saw that. Hence the reason there are cameras

But yes, back to the heater, I'd need everything. The box, controls, cables, ductwork. even the ashtray/lighter...all for the early dash.

I will try to check tomorrow if I get a chance. I think I might have all that..

Cool. No rush. It's a lot more important to me to get the darn thing running again.

Well, I got some work done yesterday...but better yet, I took some pictures! I usually forget.

Anyway, here's the "new" engine that is now in the bunny :

It really wasn't too bad of a job to pull the old one out...

Even though I did use the Golf to pull the engine hoist out.

Emptiness :

This is how it sits right now :

But I really don't think the input shaft of the transmission is lined up correctly with the clutch. My fault because I couldn't lift it up and into position so I used a ratchet strap. Now that the passenger motor mount is in place, it will be easier to do it over. Besides...I really need to paint the transmission anyway...it looks too dirty now!

Nice work. Love the picture of the picker being pulled with the strap, classic!
    Gordy S
    MK1 Scirocco x 4

Quote: Originally Posted by ydrogs View Post
    Nice work. Love the picture of the picker being pulled with the strap, classic!
    Thanks! And yes, the hoist doesn't move well on gravel

The bunny was alive yesterday!

Now that was a good feeling I was pretty darn tired at the end of the day so it was a good reward.

I was having a lot of trouble getting the injector line for cylinder 1 to seal correctly, after a lot of fiddling I thought I had it. But when I went out there this morning the injector pump was air bound again. Turned it over and there were some bubbles coming out of the line #1 fitting. Line 2 is new but I'll replace all the other ones as soon as I can. I won't be able to make it down there next weekend though.

In any case, I'm pretty happy with my work.

And as it turns out, I was worried about the transmission for no good reason. Took it out and put it back in but it was lined up correctly the first time. Nothing like double checking.

I still need to button up :

Last edited by Iroczgirl; 2012.06.04 at 19:04 PM.

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough
    nice!

Needs more turbo Also, I probably should have mentioned this earlier, but jsut to be sure, you have both alignment dowels in the area where the trans bolts to the engine, right?

Quote: Originally Posted by Rabbit 16v View Post
    Needs more turbo Also, I probably should have mentioned this earlier, but jsut to be sure, you have both alignment dowels in the area where the trans bolts to the engine, right?
    Yes I do. And the last time I put it in, I felt that reassuring "pop" when the input shaft mates with the clutch disc. After that it was really easy to put all the mounting bolts in place. I haven't driven it yet but it seems that the clutch engages/disengages properly. I'll know for sure when I take it out for the first time.

did you paint the engine? if so, where did you get the paint?
    I've been toying with the idea of painting the block on the AAZ to look like a 1.6D for additional sleeper status.

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    looks like hers is Ford Green

http://www.kpg-industrial.com/produc..._with_ceramic/

Not close enough to look like OG VW green though, that's more like Racing Green
    -Tyler-

Quote: Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    did you paint the engine? if so, where did you get the paint?
    I've been toying with the idea of painting the block on the AAZ to look like a 1.6D for additional sleeper status.
    The paint is Duplicolor Detroit Diesel Alpine green.
    It's the closest thing I could find available locally. Perhaps I need a detroit diesel badge for the valve cover now

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    That's the same one I used on the 1.6 in the Caddy
    -Tyler-

Love that color. I paint all my blocks that color.. even if they are gassers I might be partial to grün..

thanks! if I get the gumption to clean and mask this thing well enough to shoot it, I will!

So now...who else thinks this bunny should be riding on white Enkei Aeronautics?

(photo "stolen" from the 'tex.)

I vote for this:

+ Reply to Thread