Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 1976.5 Super Scirocco

Oh it would have moved but it would not have been able to stop Not long before it will be mobile again. Got a distributor and probably a MC if you want to get them next weekend. Might have a spare alternator or just a smaller fan for yours. Also have a few non ratcheting brackets if you want to fix yours that way. Make sure to get a list of all the little things you need too.
    Gordy S
    MK1 Scirocco x 4

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    New M/C is only $30, going to just order one. The distributor is the bigger issue. Joe is checking to see if he has one in his storage unit though.
    -Tyler-

Here is what I got:
    old school

new school

All are pretty much torn apart but parts are parts. I might have other whole ones lying around too. Your welcome to any of it.
    Gordy S
    MK1 Scirocco x 4

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    hrm, looks like all the vacuum advance ones are points :\
    -Tyler-

Quote: Originally Posted by twardnw View Post
    hrm, looks like all the vacuum advance ones are points :\
    Only the one with the wires coming out of it of is points. The other ones just have the hall plug missing which I think you can be re-install. Not sure if any of the are dual vacuum though. Still, if you find another one grab it
    Gordy S
    MK1 Scirocco x 4

(⌐■_■)
    ah, gotcha. I'll dig through them this weekend
    -Tyler-

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar
    Actually, the one with the red and black wires coming out of it is a pertronix points to electronic pickup conversion. The two in the middle with the single spade connectors are points. The one on top and the one in the middle on the right are both electronic with broken plugs. I cannot quite make out what the one on the right bottom is.. HTH

(⌐■_■)
    Ok, I got a couple of dizzy's from Gordy to try out. First though, I wanted to eliminate the ignition control module as being a problem. Following the procedure in the bentley, I measured voltages, etc. The last test, is to momentarily ground the center pin of the Hall connector from the dizzy. That did get me spark, so the ignition module seems to be ok. So, I move on to the distributors and testing the Hall senders. Measuring between pin 6 w/ positive lead of my voltmeter, and pin 3 w/ the negative lead, I indeed did see the 2+ volt to 0 volt drop as expected when I spun the dizzy by hand. So, I then hooked the coil back up, since I now know that the hall sender is good and the ignition control module is good, give the dizzy a spin, no spark Halp?
    -Tyler-

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar
    pull the fuel pump relay and try again.

(⌐■_■)
    no fuel pump relay
    -Tyler-

Ok, so from our testing, what changed from having spark to not having spark? I read it three times and it seems there is some info missing or its late and my reading comprehension/brain skills are not up to par.

(⌐■_■)
    when I manually ground the signal pin of the hall connector, I get spark. If I hook up the connector to the hall and spin the dizzy by hand, no spark, but I do see the correct voltage drop across pins 6(+) and 3(-) of the ICM (2+v dropping to 0)
    -Tyler-

if all 3 wires to the hall sender connector have continuity to their respective locations, I would suspect the hall sender has failed. Do you have another car you can plug the suspect distributor into to verify?

(⌐■_■)
    that's the thing, the hall sender passes the test as specified by the Bentley
    -Tyler-

Well, although it may pass the test, it does not necessarily mean its fine. It could be something like added load or voltage could be making it not work. Do you have another car you can test it on? Perhaps a buddy that you could entice to come over with beer?

(⌐■_■)
    I'll have to see if I can convince Joe to let me swap some parts
    -Tyler-

Does Joes car run?

(⌐■_■)
    his truck, yes
    -Tyler-

Then offer some beers or go over there with your dizzy, unplug his, plug yours in, and spin it. See if you have spark.

No innuendo implied at all.. seriously.

(⌐■_■)
    -Tyler-

I also had a hall sender that tested fine, new coil, new control module...but no or erratic spark. A new hall sender fixed that. It really is worth trying with a known good one.

(⌐■_■)
    can someone look at the wiring at their hall connector and tell me which pins are which? The Bentley only calls out R/Bk as +, the other two I am unsure of.

Oh, I took my ICM and a couple dizzy's over to Joe's house. Swapped in my ICM with his dizzy, truck started. Swapped in my dizzy, disconnected coil from cap, ground, spun dizzy, got spark

And, I cannot get the sockets out of the hall connector, they are being very stubborn
    -Tyler-

R/Bk = pin 1 = + or 12v.
    G/W = pin 2 = pulse signal
    Br/W = pin 3 = ground

R/Bk is supposed to go to terminal 5 on the ignition module
    G/W goes to terminal 6
    Br/W goes to terminal 3

(⌐■_■)
    grr, and that's exactly how mine is set up
    -Tyler-

Rip out that crap motor and plop in a 12v VR with ITBs.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

+ Reply to Thread